HKS Install

64 posts in this topic

Posted

Nice:)

Posted

Thanks! It has been a trying adventure. Hopefully it will be worth it. Still a little more tinkering to do but it makes noise.

Posted

So much for the trying adventure. Its become a love/hate issue. Found a small oil drop underneath one of the cylinders after running it and most likely going to be a cracked head. Could have been that way from the factory or somebody with no torque wrench. Now to pull the cylinder and find out.  Doesn't seem like I'll ever get to fly this thing!

Posted

Just checked the price for a new cylinder, almost $1000. Beginning to rethink the whole process. Maybe get back to trout fishing!

Posted

Don't despair Allen.  Maybe it's just a drip of oil from a spill or something.  Think positive!   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Going to pull the cylinder today to verify it. But with the luck I've been having  with this project?  Buying a used cylinder would be risky and it could be the head cracked which might be repaired. We'll see.

Posted

Yanked the head off and found no cracks. Will replace the gaskets and give it another try.

3 people like this

Posted

Keep at it buddy, got my fingers and toes crossed for good luck for u, but finding it hard to walk. Hahhaaaaa

Posted

Keep at it buddy, got my fingers and toes crossed for good luck for u, but finding it hard to walk. Hahhaaaaa

I have that problem when I am chewing gum! LOL!

1 person likes this

Posted

Damm mayb thats my problem since i chew RedMan chewing tobacco, All these yrs i thought cause my brain is frozen, hasnt thawed in almost 50yrs. Hahahahahahaaaaa

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't despair Allen.  Maybe it's just a drip of oil from a spill or something.  Think positive!   JImChuk

Indeed..........don't borrow trouble.  Damn the torpedoes full steam ahead. 

Posted

Found the oil leak. A factory pressed in plug right beside the screw head. It was seeping and running down the fins valley right to the screw head. A little uckum pucky on the plug sealed it up. Now put it all back together.

2 people like this

Posted

Back to the engineering dept on the HKS. Custom intakes are causing some issues with the EGT's.  May go back to stock manifolds and see if they settle down.  Buckchop, you have any spare explosives?  With the curved manifolds, throttle and choke cables need to be redone along with the cowling like Mike Rickett's to clear the carbs. It never ends.

Posted

Some more re-engineering to do. Didn't care for the T handle throttle so making a reversing pivot to use a standard throttle. Carb springs want to pull it to idle so will use the veriner throttle.