Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Found Engine

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, got smiled upon again! Found an HKS with 80 hrs on it for a good price for the Fox. Hopefully make the trip this Tues to get it. Should be OK for me since I don't wear designer jeans. (you know, the high dollar brand Lardache.) 

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't know that model 2 looks high dollar fit and finish to me.

Posted

Heading out tonight on another road trip (thought they were over) to pick up the HKS. He wants me to hear it run before I buy it. Evidently he is impressed with the way it runs and sounds. I am getting too old for this!

Posted

Well, heard it start easy and run smooth so its in the barn till I get time to go over it. 85 hrs TT and ser# is the 1000 TBO engine. He was running a 3 blade 72" Powerfin prop on it.  A lot of componets to find a place to put them, preferably on the cool side of the firewall. So we start engineering again! Still don't know what the gear ratio is, its not stamped anywhere.

Posted

It will be either 2.58 -1 or 3.47-1  Pull the plugs and pull it over and count the rotations of engine and prop.  I'm guessing it's a 3.47 with that much prop on it.  It will be interesting to see how it performs once it's all done.  I do think it will work out and probably better then the 55 HP Hirth.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I may have to change the ratio get a little faster prop speed.  Or go to a different prop. And modify the exhaust to fit. Normal stuff. Its been done before so I know it can be done.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

I like the HKS. Mike Ricketts has had a ton of fun with his. I think it will perform better than you expect.

Posted

I like the HKS. Mike Ricketts has had a ton of fun with his. I think it will perform better than you expect.

I think you're right! A wrong prop/reduction combination can make a great engine a dog as the right combination can make a so so engine do really well. He said it done great in cruise but didn't do well full gross on take off. A 3.47 ratio swinging a 72" 3 blade isn't the best for take off performance, roughly 1750 prop RPM is not the ideal combo for take off performance.