Wanted ,Rotary valve oil reservoir

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Any condition as long as it don't leak 

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

Posted

ThanksTCJ

i know about Rotax is out rages prices, that's the reason I was looking for a used one, probably end up building my own

Posted

I've wondered why the rotary valve doesn't just feed and return to the oil injection bottle like Ski-Doo does on the snowmobiles with rotary valves.  I've thought about adding a couple tees in the oil injection hose to feed the rotary valve because mine leaks a little bit of oil there. Feeding from the injection bottle would mean the rotary valve is getting oil as long as the engine is.

Posted

I've wondered why the rotary valve doesn't just feed and return to the oil injection bottle like Ski-Doo does on the snowmobiles with rotary valves.  I've thought about adding a couple tees in the oil injection hose to feed the rotary valve because mine leaks a little bit of oil there. Feeding from the injection bottle would mean the rotary valve is getting oil as long as the engine is.

That's a good idea assuming the oil in the bottle is above the the height of the RV assembly.

Posted

I suppose one reason to have separate tanks is if the seals start to leak and you get oil coolant mixing with the oil, it wouldn't mess up the engine as quick.  Not saying this as fact, but it seems reasonable.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

I don't think that would be an issue. There are 2 seals back to back. One to keep oil  in the rotary valve area and the other to keep coolant out. If the coolant seal leaks I'm thinking the coolant will wind up in the crankcase and won't go through the oil seal for the rotary valve.  Thinking about it though. If the rotary valve seal is leaking, all of the oil from the bottle could wind up in the crankcase.

Posted

I don't think that would be an issue. There are 2 seals back to back. One to keep oil  in the rotary valve area and the other to keep coolant out. If the coolant seal leaks I'm thinking the coolant will wind up in the crankcase and won't go through the oil seal for the rotary valve.  Thinking about it though. If the rotary valve seal is leaking, all of the oil from the bottle could wind up in the crankcase.

lots of documented cases of the issue Jim described.  That one of the main reasons for the ceramic seal on the blue heads.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ah.  Ok. good to know.

Posted

I have a couple if you still need one.