Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Build new Avid wings

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Sort of a double post but I figured there might be more folks reading this section:

If a chap wanted to build a new set of new STOL wings for an Avid MK4, are there any plans available? Were the flapperons part of the kit or fabricated by the customer?

Thanks for any help.

Ad

Posted (edited)

The plans in the build manual show the spacing of ribs and such.  The ribs and flaperons were prebuilt, and part of the kit.  Where are you located?   JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Hi, thanks. I guess there are quite a few parts that are factory made in the wings. I’m in the UK which isn’t convenient!

I believe there are about 25 Speedwings here an one HH.

Edited by Ad Eves

Posted

I have a set of HH wings that need the rib tails repaired, along with the flaperons.   Keep saying I'm going to get to work on them, but haven't so far.  UK is a long way from Minnesota though.   Worst thing to make I would think would be the flaperons.  A router table and patterns and one could make the ribs fairly easy.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Is Mark at avidkitplanes.com still in business? He had rib kits and misc parts at one point.

Posted

I have a set of HH wings that need the rib tails repaired, along with the flaperons.   Keep saying I'm going to get to work on them, but haven't so far.  UK is a long way from Minnesota though.   Worst thing to make I would think would be the flaperons.  A router table and patterns and one could make the ribs fairly easy.  JImChuk

That’s very interesting. I have access to a CNC router. Did you say you do have the flapperons?

i know it’s a long way but for me it might work...

Posted

Is Mark at avidkitplanes.com still in business? He had rib kits and misc parts at one point.

It would be good if parts still existed somewhere.

Posted

That’s very interesting. I have access to a CNC router. Did you say you do have the flapperons?

I probably don't want to sell the flaperons seperatly.  I think the new avid outfit said they were making flaperons.  Not sure if they are though.  JImchuk

Posted (edited)

I probably don't want to sell the flaperons seperatly.  I think the new avid outfit said they were making flaperons.  Not sure if they are though.  JImchuk

Hi

It would be the wings and flapperons that I’d want as a complete set. Is there an accepted method to repair rib tails?

Edited by Ad Eves

Posted

IIRC, Mark was able to supply everything you need. https://avidkitplanes.com

Posted

Here are links to this topic and some pictures I posted of rib tails I made.  JImChuk

avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/5984-repair-of-flapperon-hangers-on-a-kitfox/#comment-54079
avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/3373-broken-rib-tail-repair/

Posted (edited)

Mark is replying to emails to say that he can still make an extension kit.

I assume full HH wings would be better overall due to the lower washout and extra length?

Edited by Ad Eves

Posted

Hi All

By way of an update we have acquired an old but un-started Avid C kit with both HH and Speedwing parts, so we should be set to build a set of HH wings.

Posted

If it was me I would use the speed wing ribs at the full wing length.  The speed wing profile gets you more top end and looses little if any on the bottom end if built full length.  Duplicating the ribs is pretty easy so you will have enough to go full length.

Posted

If you do this, you will need a set of the special transitional root ribs to match the undercamber butt ribs.

Posted (edited)

Thanks both. That is a good plan and it appears that one aircraft was built in this style in the UK already, meaning it shouldn't be a problem to get approved. I thought the root ribs were always undercamber style to meet the fuselage, even on speed wings? Where does the transitional rib go?

16310_69_DSC_0040.JPG

Edited by Ad Eves

Posted

Avid special 'transitional' rib (speed rib lower profile with STOL/HH upper profile) is used to mate Root Rib #1 on an Avid Speed wing or Aerobat to the fixed rib on the fuse. If you search 'transitional' you will find several mentions with pics.

Posted

Avid special 'transitional' rib (speed rib lower profile with STOL/HH upper profile) is used to mate Root Rib #1 on an Avid Speed wing or Aerobat to the fixed rib on the fuse. If you search 'transitional' you will find several mentions with pics.

Thank you. So that must be what we have on our current aircraft with speed wings. As the kit has both wing types I'll look to see if there are transitional ribs already in the parts.