Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Firewall

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking at the firewall that came with the kit I bought and I am pretty sure it is aluminum. That would not offer much protection in an engine space fire. I believe most kits have a galvanized firewall with room for a footwell. Any one have a gauge on the galvanized material an measurements on the footwell bump?

Posted

No help on the footwell measurements as I have a Kitfox and not an Avid, but 26 ga is the minimum thickness needed for a firewall and is what my Kitfox IV has.

Posted

I would temporarily mount the engine and the muffler, and then make the foot well as big as you can going from there.  No point going much above the cross bar where your toes hit when working the pedals though.  Different engines will allow more or less room,  are you going with a 582?  JImChuk

Posted

I am putting a Yamaha Apex engine on it. I have the engine and mount so I will use those for determining the footwell size. Have you got a guess on the appropriate gauge for galvanized or Stainless?

Posted

As stated in post #2, 26 gauge for galvanized. It isn't a guess either. It is what FAR 23.1191 calls for.  You can got to 0.015 for stainless but you originally asked about only galvanized. Although a homebuilt doesn't have to comply with part 23, in this case it is prudent.

https://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part23-1191-FAR.shtml

Posted

I was meaning to go measure a firewall I have from a MK IV with a 582, but I keep forgetting about it when I'm in the hangar.  I'll try again.  JImChuk

Posted

Thank you all for the information. Going to go with .018 SS 

1 person likes this