Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Fox 2

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Made some big changes this weekend. Sold the Hirth off the nose of the Fox. Now on the hunt for a 4 stroke replacement. In the meantime, going to list the Fox on barnstormers and either I find an engine or it sells, which ever happens first.  Everything new, w/panel, new brake system, new tires, new covering, new paint, new hardware, new wiring, etc. Including trailer.

Brand New Fox 005.JPG

Brand New Fox 004.JPG

Brand New Fox 001.JPG

003.JPG

Posted

Well Allen,  I sold my last 582, and I already have one of your planes, so I won't even say how much....  Did you ever get to fly it with the Hirth?  I think an HKS would be comparable to the Hirth in power, maybe a bit more even.  Otherwise a Jabiru???  JImChuk

Posted

You put so many hours of your life into this plane, You sure selling it is the right move? I can say from experience they are really fun to fly once there finished.

Posted (edited)

Hopefully find an engine first. Found a possible candidate that I was not aware of. Check out aeromarinelsa.com and look at their V-twin. preliminary spec's are around 120 lbs flying weight, less fuel burn than a 582, 60 hp four stroke. Being flight tested currently. Based on a Can-Am side by side engine which has been hammered to death by a thousand redneck hillbillies around the world. Initial info looks good, but he won't release much info till flight testing is done. Meanwhile I'll keep plugging along flying the Champ and get my tail wheel skills honed razor sharp.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

What about the HKS 700E on Barnstormers?  I don't know these engines but it was pulled from a Kitfox.

Posted

Okay, just looked them up.  It makes 60HP so that might be too underpowered.

Posted

The HKS is no longer in production. Parts might be hard to come by. Plus everyone I have talked to stated that it was comparable to a 503.  A true 60 HP would be plenty if it didn't drop off at anything below WOT.  He won't share the power/torque chart yet. And till I can see that, its pretty much useless to me. I look at new engines with both eyes wide open till I see real numbers. Too bad the gross weight won't allow a 912 or similar engine. Not fond of 912's but they do work good. A Jab 2200 is still questionable till the Gen 4 gets some hrs on it in real world flying. Very few options available in the 4 stroke world.

Posted

Ill agree not bad looking at all.

Posted

Well how about doing the yamaha 2cyl phazer 80hp. 72 chevy is doing an awesome job ill bet he would helpout with the info for an install. I think that is where im going with my bluefox instead of the 670 rotax. Ill bet 100hp or even a little more b easy to get from the yamaha also. 

Posted

Leaning to an HKS or the aeromarine engine at the present. I know an HKS isn't made anymore but I doubt they made a lot of special parts for the engine except the case, cyl's and maybe a few other parts. Pistons, rods, etc I'd gamble were from some existing engine and can be bought local if one knew what they were from.

Posted

There is a guy in SW Mn that I've talked to that has a HKS in a Kitfox 3.  He likes it, not a real speed demon but it's been good to him.  I've been on the HKS forum for  a while, and the dealer for them in NY state can supply parts.  JImChuk

Posted

Right now the jury is still out on engine choices.

Posted

Bet you could make any of these to work

Viking 90?

HKS

912 Rotax

Jabiru.

Phazer Engine.

VW

Posted

There are possibilities out there, even some unknown ones. The Viking is out due to their reputation, Phazer is out, tired of engineering and design, 912 is a little heavy, so that leaves few choices.

Posted

Have you looked at UL?  They look promising, but are rather pricey.

Posted

I like the looks of the UL260 and as you said, pricy. Hate to put 20K in a 14K airframe. So far the HKS is looking like the solution. Since speed is not the driving force, 58-60 hp is enough.

Posted

I I have an HKS for sale if interested

Posted

Sent you a PM.

Posted

Hi Allen, this must be close to you.  Seems like a pretty good deal.  JImChuk

CGS HAWK • $2,500 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • Selling my Hawk ultralight, rotax 503 runs great, new tires, all drawings instructions. ultralight air craft no license required, make an offer! • Contact Stephen Macdonald , Owner - located Suffolk, VA United States Telephone: 8505293204 • Posted June 3, 2020

Posted

In my experience, its not a true ultralight if it has a 503. Its located SE Va near the NC border. 8 hr drive from me, plus craploads of traffic. Usually a dead giveaway for an ultralight is if it has a 503 it will NOT make Pt 103. Most likely unregistered single place experimental that was flown as an ultralight. Either way a good price. But a paperwork snafu.

Posted

Been thinking about shoehorning a 912 in the Fox. Will lose some useful load but unless one is wearing designer jeans, shouldn't be a big issue. Not really crazy about a 912 but they do work.

Posted

HKS Turbo if you could find one would be perfect.  80HP and I've not heard any negative issues. I'm in the same boat as you Allen.  I'm seeking a 4 stroke for my model C.

Posted

Had my fox on barnstormers for my usual 1 week listing and had only 3 or 4 e-mails concerning it. I thought a decent price for a new Fox but guess I was wrong. So it will stay in the barn and I'll work on the engine installation when time permits. Suppose the Kitfox craze has run its course for now. Reason for the one week listing is after 7-10 days lurkers seem to think you are getting desperate and start making lowball offers. Guess what!!!