Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

wing repair?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there any way to repair this or does it need to be replaced? This spar has the center web.

IMG_20200522_092527392.jpg

IMG_20200522_092539057.jpg

Posted

I think you have to get a new spar for sure.  With wing tip extensions, the spars are sleeved and more spar is added, but that is just for the last 2 feet of the wing.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jim

Posted

Where is the best place to get a replacement spar?

Posted

I don't think you could find one with that center rib, unless you found a wing with a good one.  Usually a damaged wing is going to have the front one banged up, like yours is.  I have one that has a good rear spar, but I'm not sure it could be used to replace a front one.  Kitfox and Just aircraft both sell standard spar material, but there is no center rib.  When I was going to repair the wing I had, I got prices from both, and Just had the better price, and would have installed the 5' long stiffener for me in the tube to save on shipping.  I ended up finding another wing so never repaired mine.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks Jim.

Posted

Wicks has the best price on them but I would replace front and rear so they flex equal.  

Posted

I’m in about the same boat but I will change the spars on both wings...actually building brand new ones.

one wing has the front spar that needs to be replaced and the other wing has the rear spar that needs to be replaced...and I also want to have 13 gallon fiberglass tanks installed.

i will change all spars to get same inserts and flex in them, most likely I will to all new ribs so by the time I’m done I will have 4 wings :)

im buying my spar and inserts from kitfox