Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Black Max Brakes

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Received all the brake componets from Black Max. Top quality parts. Easily adapted to the Fox or Avid w/ 3/4" axels. Only modifications I had to make was 2 new rudder mounting brackets. And those wouldn't be required if one used their existing master cylinders. I needed new master cylinders anyway.

Posted

Pictures please.

Posted

Frankly!!

Posted

Frankly!!

Huh??

Posted

Received all the brake componets from Black Max. Top quality parts. Easily adapted to the Fox or Avid w/ 3/4" axels. Only modifications I had to make was 2 new rudder mounting brackets. And those wouldn't be required if one used their existing master cylinders. I needed new master cylinders anyway.

Got the new brakes installed and bled. May be a little overkill on the stopping power. Rated for 1500 gr. wt.  Easiest brakes to bleed I ever seen. Fill up the res, open bleeder screw, have a cup of coffee, pump the pedal a couple times and tighten the bleeder screw and you're done.

Posted

Sure like to see a picture of the install

Posted

Kind of hard to get a picture of the wheel set up. Everything is hidden in the inside of the 8" wheel. I did modify the self-contained master cylinders to a larger capacity similar to a remote fluid supply. I couldn't believe the weight difference in the old brake system/wheels which were 9 lbs minus tires. The new system was almost 4 lbs minus tires. The old Enginetics brakes weighed a bunch and ineffective with the 21" tires.  The Black Max website has some decent pictures to go by. Last time I had deep dish wheels was on my 70 GTO, many years ago. But tomorrow if the rain holds off, I'll see if I can get a couple pictures.

1 person likes this

Posted

A couple pictures of the brake setup.

Brake system 004.JPG

Brake system 005.JPG

Brake system 003.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

Thought I'd do a runup to check the new jets I installed. Had it on the trailer button downed and hooked to the side by side. Got up to about 3800 RPM and noticed that we were moving. Dang thing was dragging the side by side in the gravel. Didn't quite make it to the barn door, though. Next time, hook the truck to it, dummy!

Posted

The calipers look small compared to braking strength. I guess size doesn't matter.

Posted

I really like the clear tubing reservoir/filler idea!

Posted

Just an easy way to check brake fluid  without straining to remove filler plugs. I was too cheap to buy a remote reservoir kit.  Black Max uses standard automatic transmission fluid instead of 5606.

Posted

That looks real nice. Are the wheels the Douglas wheels that came stock with many Kitfoxes?  Also, how does the brake disk attach to the wheel/hub?

Thanks.

Posted

No, the wheels came with the kit. Same size as the Douglas wheels but smaller bolt pattern. The new hub bolts to the wheel and the disc is slid over 3 anchor pins and is free floating. The caliper is keyed to the axel so no modification is needed except to change to the new  axels that are provided. One can also get the 6" wheels if they desire which mount the same way, just smaller wheels. One can also get double puck calipers if they feel they are needed. On a 800-900 lb empty weight bird they might be needed but on a standard bird, probably not. My system is rated for 1500 lb gross so at 950 gross they are more than enough stopping power. 3/4" axel size is the biggest they sell so if one has the 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" axel, the need to go to Matco or other system.

Posted

Thanks.  That is a nice looking setup and easy the way they have it set up. I need to decide if I'm going to stick with the Matcos on my project airplane and this gives another option.

Final questions. Are the rims one piece or split rims and are the tires tubeless?

Posted

Hey Allen,

do you know if the black max system is much lighter that the matco system? What is the difference in braking power with matco? Is a double puck brake double the power??There is no information about weight and braking power on the website..

Thanks for your insight

Posted

I haven't used the Matco system in 25 years so I don't have a clue.  The BX-1000 is 1000lbs gross, BX-1200 is 1200 lbs gross and mine is the BX-1500's. They recommend the double pucks for extra large tires. The 6" rims are split rims and 8" are one piece. Tube or tubeless, the split rim has a sealing "0" ring between the halves. I wouldn't change brake systems for 2-3 lbs if that was the only reason. I needed a whole new system anyhow and Black Max was the least amount of effort to convert. Weight wasn't the deciding factor. Though, it helps to drop a few pounds.

1 person likes this

Posted

Im excited to see how they really do. Keep us posted. They look like a nice package.

Posted

Will do if monsoon season ends!  With the winds lately, I think they moved tornado alley to WVa.

Posted

How do you like your breaks?

Posted

I flew with the black max brakes for 5 years they would hold the plane all the way to 4800 rpm on a 912 and then the plane would slide on locked wheels lol.

so yes in my experience they work well.

I would definitely insist on the 3/4 axle kit though 5/8 was a little soft for my liking and field usage