Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing rigging issue

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I wore myself and my shop floor out last weekend trying to get my wings rigged to the fuselage, I didn’t have any trouble with the dihedral or the washout but when I string lined the leading edge I noticed that the left front spar was not as far onto the spar carry through. I measured from the rudder post to the end of each wing and sure enough the left one was one inch shorter than the right. After checking and rechecking every thing multiple times I think that my fuselage is not straight. I measured from the rear spar bushings to the rudder post and the left one measured 1/4 inch less than the right. Any one have any words of wisdom on how to fix that?

Posted

1/4 over 17 feet would be considered pretty straight in my opinion. But idks

Posted

1 inch is alot it might make it difficult to keep the ball centered during strait flight.  But if you pulled a string from tip to tip and your strait with the front spar carry through should be square with the fuselage.  Hope you have the right edge distance yet on your front spar pin. I think I would try to fudge it all a bit, move one wing back and the other forward  Try to get with in a half inch at least. Don't think the fuselage cares if its flying strait the wings should fly strait with the rudder.

1 person likes this

Posted

Kent,

I think you are saying that from the rudder hinge line to the end of each wing (maybe 18 feet?) the two wings differ by 1 inch on that pair of diagonals? That is darn straight, frankly. The wings are 144" long and 1" fore and aft swing is about 1/3 of a degree out of line. That wing is aligned by mounting it by the two spar ends, and the spars are 27.5" apart. If the forward spar end of one wing butts 0.2" closer to the centerline of the airplane, that wing will be 1" more forward than the other.

Tjay's idea of pulling a string across the entire wing forward spar just to see that alignment is a good one. If one wing is a bit swept, the fix might be to see how the root end butts into the fuselage.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the replies, So it sounds like I was letting my ocd take over. This is my first build and I am trying to avoid doing anything that would result in a poor flying aircraft. 

TJay that is pretty much what the KitFox manual  says to do, nlappos that is exactly what i was saying and your math is correct that's what i'm seeing. I was really nervous about drilling the holes in my spars because I know how much work and expense goes into getting the wings to this point. I feel better now Thanks guys!

1 person likes this