Kitfox 2 project start

48 posts in this topic

Posted

I picked up a kitfox 2 that has been De-registered. I know this is an uphill battle for airworthiness and builders certificate. The fabric looks pretty ugly anyway and I will have to strip it all down and repair/mod. to achieve a 51% build. Could you guys help me with must do mods and then smart possible mods for these airplanes. I think before I get started I would like to have a mechanic look at the airplane and look at the FAA builders list and do the math with me so I know the minimum I need to do to achieve 51% build. I am very new to this but I’m excited for the undertaking. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated or recommendations on a mechanic near Seattle Washington. Right now as it sits everything works and runs great so a shame to tear it all down but fabric’s ugly anyway.

1EC4D393-52BE-402F-A94A-0E8B4D29CCC1.jpeg

CA89E1A1-64F5-47BC-BA8C-9277C698AE4B.jpeg

Posted

If may depend on why it was de-registered, but if it was allowed to lapse, the originial registration may be recoverable.  Maybe you are aware of all this, but maybe not.  That's why I mentioned it.  At any rate, welcome to the group.  I'm sure we will try to help if we can.  JImChuk

Posted

Did any paperwork come with it when you got it.  N number, AW cert, logbooks, etc.?  If it has, the 51% rule probably doesn't apply.  In your situation, any paperwork could help re-register it. Anybody can repair one but the 51% rule only applies to the original build. So the paperwork or lack of can indicate which way you should go. A grey area depending on what the situation is. Either way, a good model to have.

1 person likes this

Posted

Did any paperwork come with it when you got it.  N number, AW cert, logbooks, etc.?  If it has, the 51% rule probably doesn't apply.  In your situation, any paperwork could help re-register it. Anybody can repair one but the 51% rule only applies to the original build. So the paperwork or lack of can indicate which way you should go. A grey area depending on what the situation is. Either way, a good model to have.

thank you Allen, I do have the logbook with builders logs. It had been wrecked and stripped of the N number I believe.

Posted

Do you know what the n-number was?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

First, was the "N" number cancelled, removed from airframe, etc. If the AW cert was surrendered then its a different can of worms. You might be able to go on faa.gov and get a copy of the paperwork that was filed with the FAA, if you have the N number.  If it was surrendered, it had to be listed as scrapped, destroyed, disassembled, sold as parts, etc.  Could be a good deal, depending on what you paid, or a nice collection of parts. Which by the way are worth a small fortune. Been through this soup sandwich a couple times and it can be a headache. Get it straightened out, paperwork wise, before you start rebuilding.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

Allen, yes, the EAA told me he looked it up and it was listed as totaled. So basically, yes, for parts and I could no longer call it a kitfox. It still seemed like a good deal to me because I knew everything was there and in working condition and still far cheaper than I could even get a new kit fox kit. I figured any repairs wouldn’t be too bad because I was going to redo all the fabric anyway. I was not originally thinking I would have to complete the 51% rule though (A bit of an oversight) If I mod, fix, and work on enough of the parts, airframe and engine, it may not be too hard to get there though. I printed out the FAA point worksheet, I think I just need a mechanic to go through it with me to make sure I will be covered. Thank you for all the help.

Posted

109jb, yes, but it was removed from the airframe and recorded as destroyed.

Posted

I think I would like to have an A&P mechanic look at it before I even start and look at my list of repairs and fabrication and have him let me know if that will meet the 51% after completed. Would you recommend, and if so, do you know of one in Washington state? Or is one as good as another and anyone will do? Thanks 

Posted

If you have an A&P working with you then he knows a couple of tricks of the trade. We won't discuss what those tricks are here, but that's between you and him. As far as A&P's go, most who are a little long in the tooth (old) know the tricks and routes to go. Of course we all know that illegal is a sick bird. Anybody that has been around old cubs, T-crafts and such run into paperwork snafu's all the time.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good tips thank you!!

Posted

What was the n-number I can get the FAA docs and you will then know the exact story.

Posted

What was the n-number I can get the FAA docs and you will then know the exact story.

cool, thanks. I have to grab the book from my office. i’ll get back to you in a little bit.

Posted

Tail number was N121DC and original kitfox serial number was DAC-1995

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

To the FAA, this is a dead aircraft. It no longer exist as far as they are concerned. The N number has been reassigned to another aircraft.

1 person likes this

Posted

There is a box that can be checked in the registration papers that says: built from parts.  Some have used that avenue when they didn't have a complete paperwork trail.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

To the FAA, this is a dead aircraft. It no longer exist as far as they are concerned. The N number has been reassigned to another aircraft.

thank you, I will register for a new N number and prepare for the uphill battle getting airworthiness and builders cert.  i’m extremely new to all of this so I’m sure I will have many more questions for the forum. Thanks 

Posted

thank you, I will register for a new N number and prepare for the uphill battle getting airworthiness and builders cert.  i’m extremely new to all of this so I’m sure I will have many more questions for the forum. Thanks 

Hey Craig I saw your youtube comment on my video the other day, that's cool that you're close by. I worked quite a bit with the Spokane FSDO on my airworthiness cert. so reach out if you need any help or questions in working with them.

1 person likes this

Posted

The issue you may run into is that it is obviously a Kitfox and as such should have a FAA Bill of Sale from Denny Aircraft, Skystar Aircraft, Kitfox Aircraft, the guy you bought it from etc. Without the bill of sale I don't think you will be able to resurrect this one as its former self. So the next problem you will have is getting it registered and a new airworthiness as a new airplane. You can try the "Built from parts" route, but depending on the FSDO or DAR that might not work. I'd check first to see what they will allow.

Posted

There is a box that can be checked in the registration papers that says: built from parts.  Some have used that avenue when they didn't have a complete paperwork trail.  JImChuk

Thank you!

Posted (edited)

I have had great luck with the guys at the Spokane FSDO. They all want planes flying not parts or collecting dust. Unless things have changed since I last talked to them they will do everything possible to work with you not against you. As said above you can always build from parts. In that case the aircraft will be registered as a "Craig Kennedy Flyer" or something like that instead of a Kitfox II.

You might also be able to get another scrapped KF with a valid AW cert and put the two together to make one good one.

Of course the big advantage to doing all the work of a build from parts approach is the you will carry the repairman cert.

Edited by ChrisBolkan
1 person likes this

Posted

I have had great luck with the guys at the Spokane FSDO. They all want planes flying not parts or collecting dust. Unless things have changed since I last talked to them they will do everything possible to work with you not against you. As said above you can always build from parts. In that case the aircraft will be registered as a "Craig Kennedy Flyer" or something like that instead of a Kitfox II.

You might also be able to get another scrapped KF with a valid AW cert and put the two together to make one good one.

Of course the big advantage to doing all the work of a build from parts approach is the you will carry the repairman cert.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the info. I would much rather repair than disassemble the entire plane but I’ll do what I have to do.