Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Short vid of my Avid take off

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  kind of slow, so I'll post something.  A friend of mine brought his Kitfox lite project over to taxi test it the other night, and shot a short video of me taking off with his cell phone.  Looks like the Jabiru engine doesn't do to bad for takeoff and climb.  JImChuk

8 people like this

Posted

20 knot headwind? :)

Kidding, I think Avid Mk-IVs perform and sound good with the Jab!

1 person likes this

Posted

I like the Jabiru Engine. And I like the price of parts as well.

I had to replace the stator and rotor on mine the other day total cost was $630 Now if it was a 912 I bet it would be over $2000

Posted

Did something get loose in there and wreck things?  JImChuk

I had to replace the stator and rotor on mine the other day total cost was $630 Now if it was a 912 I bet it would be over $2000

Posted

Did something get loose in there and wreck things?  JImChuk

It was the 10 pole one only rated at 10 amps not quite enough I guess must have been Pulling to much juice and got to hot. 

small pieces started breaking off.  It was still charging fine but didn't see it lasting much longer.

Noticed it while doing my condition inspection could hear something wasn't right back there while spinning the prop by hand.  I replaced it with the 3300 style one much bigger.

Posted

Biggest problem I've heard with the stator was the lousy factory connectors allowed it to get to hot.  I burned mine up, and rewound it with next gauge heavier wire.  Soldered the connections after that and never had a problem since.  JImChuk

Posted

Thank you for posting the video.

1 person likes this

Posted

That sounds so nice compared to 582s and 912s. (Mind you I like 582s and 912s, I have both. But that sounds so nice!)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Got a couple more videos Monday night flying the Avid.  Seemed like it didn't want to leave the ground, but then climbed out pretty well.   Landing was surprisingly smooth considering the flare didn't seem to slow it's sink rate much.  One of these days I'll paint that cowl.  Only been flying like that for three years..... Don't know why it wont let anyone make comments, I've tried to reset it but it doesn't seem to take.   JImChuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOCx_uQfk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-U2D4nXfQ

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

It looks a bit to me like your tailwheel spring angle and large tailwheel tire are limiting your angle of attack of the wings. (to me it looks like the tail should be sitting lower) Maybe that's why it gets of the ground slowly initially but then climbs out well once you are off?? Dunno for sure. Just what it looks like to me on the video. Not being critical. Beautiful plane. Just responding to your comment about how it is getting off the ground.

Chris 

Posted

Some day I want my own airstrip. Looks good Jim. If you want comments Just click edit video click the button that says not kid friendly.

Posted (edited)

It looks a bit to me like your tailwheel spring angle and large tailwheel tire are limiting your angle of attack of the wings. (to me it looks like the tail should be sitting lower) Maybe that's why it gets of the ground slowly initially but then climbs out well once you are off?? Dunno for sure. Just what it looks like to me on the video. Not being critical. Beautiful plane. Just responding to your comment about how it is getting off the ground.

Chris 

Hi Chris, not sure one way or the other.  Usually it does a bit better then in the video.  When I went to lift off, it settled back down for a bit, and then lifted off on the next try.  Got an 8" Matco on the back, 21 or 22" tires on the front.  Angle of attach has to be way better then with the 6" Maule tailwheel and the stock turf glide tires it came stock with.  Wasn't especially hot either.  And TJay, thanks for the tip.  Never gave it any thought before, always could have comments posted the way I had it set up.  Maybe youtube changed things.  I'll give it a try.  JImChuk

PS  TJay,  I went and changed the settings like you said, and now it works.  Thanks

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Chris 

second that .its happened to me in a couple of avids including mine till the gear and tires

Posted

Sounds great!