Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brakes

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Getting ready tomorrow to pull the trigger and order a set of brake assemblies from Black Max Brakes. They have a set that matches the original 8" wheels X 3/4" axels. These might be a little overkill since they are for 1500 lbs gross weight aircraft.

Posted

Getting ready tomorrow to pull the trigger and order a set of brake assemblies from Black Max Brakes. They have a set that matches the original 8" wheels X 3/4" axels. These might be a little overkill since they are for 1500 lbs gross weight aircraft.

I don't think you can go overkill.  Most of us running bigger tires went with dual brake calipers at a minimum.  I like my brakes to work when I need them and not just be a gradual slow down.

Posted

I don't think you can go overkill.  Most of us running bigger tires went with dual brake calipers at a minimum.  I like my brakes to work when I need them and not just be a gradual slow down.

Double puck calipers are an option for the 1500 series. A big advantage to Black Max's double caliper is two inlets on each caliper. One can Tee the lines together for pilot brakes only or put the passenger brake line in the second fitting for dual brakes. Then all that's required is two master cylinders and some line. Plus they use ATF instead of 5606. We'll see.

Posted

Black max do a very nice two lever stick mount master cylinder that would eliminate the poor geometry problems of early avid fox toe brakes. I installed a Black max setup on my Drifter and was impressed with the quality of the components .