Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitplanes article

11 posts in this topic

Posted

A nice article in June Kitplanes on Kitfoxes. Kind of backs up my opinion on the classic M1, M2, and M3's. If you can find one for sale. John McBean said the model 1's and 2's in flyable condition are bringing 20K when you find one for sale. According to the article, one better have the money in his pocket when he goes to see it, if he turns around, it won't be there when the turns back around. Very few are parting with them unless its for financial reasons.

Posted

Anybody read the article in June 2020 Kitplanes yet?

Posted

$20000 for a model 1 now that I gotta see.

Jim you should have held on to yours a year longer.

Posted

It's coming to that price, TJay. At the price of (any) new kit today, 20K for a flyable two place semi bush plane is not unreasonable. You know as well as anybody when you add up all the little, didn't think of stuff, you can get quite a bit invested. The thing I didn't care for was he advised looking no farther back than the model 4 for anyone considering a Fox. The 1's, 2's or 3's make a good bargain for someone wanting to test the off airport waters before committing to mortaging the house for a new kit. Many find that the "classics" serve the purpose quite well and don't see the need to go any farther. A light 1 or 2 will out STOL a 70K M5 most times. Sure the 5 or 7 is faster, hauls more and more room inside, but not necessarly more fun, and a lot more fun for the bucks spent. But then, I don't sell Kitfox kits, either.

Posted

I keep waiting for someone to post a link to the article.  I used to get Kitplanes, but haven't in probably 5 years or more.  JImChuk

Posted

Someone who gets the digital version might be able to post the article. I still get the old school paper copy. Outside of the previous comments, pretty much the same yada yada Kitfox story. As with most all kit articles, only the latest and greatest model is the only one to get. Some truth to that if one can afford it. Doesn't matter if you are talking about airframes, engines, radios or anything aviation related. I guess people like me are getting priced out of the aviation game, which makes my model 2 more appealing.

Posted

Here you go.

KF Art.pdf

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the link.  I do wish he would have mentioned Dean Wilson at least a little to give credit where credit is due on the design of the original Kitfox.  Other then that, it was a nice read.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, apparently I sold all my stuff way too cheap... :unsure:

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, apparently I sold all my stuff way too cheap... :unsure:

Well Doug, if the guy you bought from sold it even cheaper, it's not a total loss.  :unsure:  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

:lmao:ya got a good point there Jim, lol!

Who was it that said they kept a shoebox full or receipts but refused to add them all up, hehe. I need to stay on the positive side of the airplane ledger plus finance my annual OSH trip or my (disinterested) DW would try to shut it down. Hard enough to scoot off for a couple, few weeks every year without her.