Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cargo Pods

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody have any slick ideas on homemade cargo pods for Avid/Foxes?

Posted

Yeppers, half cargo, half fuel, aluminum framework for quick release from inside cockpit, and no extra fasters welded to fuse. Have 0048 My spare fuse upside down on a trailer shaping the foam now that warm enough to do outside. Not sire if cover with carbonfiber or fiberglass yet tho,  what a messy job sanding foam. Hahahaaaaa

Posted

Yes. On both my Avid MKIV trigear and My Avid Magnum taildragger I built kayak "racks" on the under side of the planes that tied into the landing gear mounts. They were very light so did not add much weight, were easily removable and only had a small effect on cruise speed (unless the kayak was attached). I could then carry a six footish whitewater play-boat under the MKIV and could carry a full blown white water river runner under the Magnum. The volume of the kayak made a wonderful cargo pod with a ton of room. Plus when I got to where I was going, I could kayak which was awesome. Some of my most memorable time  flying and camping also involved kayaking. Not for everyone but very rewarding.

post-258-0-69998500-1383945110.jpg

post-258-0-84958000-1383944960.jpg

post-258-0-75804200-1383944768.jpg

post-258-0-73320500-1383944710.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Ex river guide on The New River so I enjoy whitewater, or used to. Never considered that approach for storage. Slick!

Posted

I have hauled a lot of stuff using a Jet Sled strapped under mine like Chris did with the kayak.  Think I picked the last one up for under 30 bucks.  I always intended to get around to making a swing mount for it to make loading and unloading easier but I never did. 

Posted

Just curious Leni how much of a drag penalty you guys experienced with the sled.

I have hauled a lot of stuff using a Jet Sled strapped under mine like Chris did with the kayak.  Think I picked the last one up for under 30 bucks.  I always intended to get around to making a swing mount for it to make loading and unloading easier but I never did. 

Posted

Just curious Leni how much of a drag penalty you guys experienced with the sled.

I didn't notice much of one if any at all

Posted

Just to let u guys know, my flyin buddy Brian here is startin to build carbon fiber belly pods for the model 7 kitfox.  Sound like the factory will b selling them for him also and welding the tabs on the fuselodges for customers. Things little slow at moment but will b ramping them up im sure. 
That one of my reasons for building them for model 1-3, as im able to build and help him on the model 7 pod so just a different mold.