Pivot point for the control sticks?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone ever raised the pivot point for the control sticks in an Avid? I was thinking about adding a 1.5 inch block under each end and making an adapter for the linkage. I would like the pivot point higher so I am less likely to run out of aileron travel when I hit my legs with the stick. I know I will probably have to shorten the sticks a bit to clear the panel but I am OK with that. I have had a couple of hairy crosswind landings recently where I had this problem. A little more aileron would have made a much nicer, more controlled arrival.

I may mock something up to see how much it might gain me.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted (edited)

I have been able to do several things to avoid the big project you are about to undertake. 1) Don't put any kind handle on the stick. I have just wrapped the area I hold on to with high quality tape. This makes a lot more room for stick movement. 2) try rotating the stick around in the socket without the pin in. I have found that offsetting the stick a bit can make a lot more room by moving the stick around closer to where my knees are wider than back by the seat where there is less room between my legs. 3) Try different stick heights. That can make a big difference. Just a thought before you start really tearing things up.

Chris

Edited by ChrisBolkan
1 person likes this

Posted

I don't see any issue with it. Should be fairly simple.  Maybe build some bubble doors too.

Posted

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have a somewhat temporary custom stick that I have been using for a while now. It has a set back in it because I was unable to get much down elevator travel when I have the seat laced back to give me enough leg room so my knees are not up in the panel. With that I have also rotated it to center the grip portion of the stick between my legs. I am using a grip from a Sea Doo which is fairly thin. I might try a much shorter stick which would pass below my knees but would have to be further forward to allow full up elevator travel. I think it would also feel very unnatural to have the stick travel under my knees.

My thought is to make spacer blocks for the 2 control mounts on the cabin floor and then make an adapter to reach down to the existing aileron linkage from the higher linkage of the raised controls. With that I would probably also have to shorten the sticks which is OK with me. This is a speedwing I am dealing with and I am used to its handling. I don't think the reduced motion of shorter sticks will be a problem for me.

Thanks,

Dan