Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 starter trouble

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello all

Some time ago, (just before the COVID mandatory containment stopped all flying activity in France) I tried to take off for a local flight, but could not start the engine. The battery was fully charged, and I even tried with an external car battery without success. I could hear the solenoid clicking, but the starter did not rotate the engine.

What are the possible or most probable causes? (I have in mind the brushes or the solenoid contacts)

I would if possible avoid to take out the starter, because on the MkIV this is not a simple task: I think it is not possible without removing the engine.

Edited by Jeromef

Posted

To check if it is the solenoid you could use a jumper from across the 2 large terminals on the start solenoid. Be prepared for a large spark. I'd probably use one side of a set of jumper cables and it would probably be safest to remove the prop  or at least be sure you are out of its way. If the engine rotates then the start solenoid is bad.

Posted

I was just typing to bypass the solenoid when 109's comment showed up.  Basically I was going to say the same thing.  Another thing to try first, is turn the engine over just a bit with the prop to reposition the starter gear.  Also, you can hand prop a 582, I've done it lots of times.  Seems that a three blade prop is easier then with a 2 blade.  I think it's mostly because of how your arms are positioned, and your left arm can pull the second blade though faster.  JImChuk

Posted

If the solenoid is clicking, its most likely OK. Generally its the brushes not making contact or the connector wire to the brush burning open. It is also a fuseable link so if one cranks too long before allowing it to cool, it will burn open. I've had it happen to customer aircraft due to grinding and grinding on the starter. A local shop can repair it instead of paying Rotax prices, or do it yourself. But its only my opinion. Rotax or GPL starters are known for this. If one is not a cranker, then its usually not an issue.

Posted

Ok  thanks this seems to be a very good idea - i had a look at all the cables and wires to be dissasembled to take the engine out and was quite discouraged!

Posted

By the way, is it possible to replace the brushes without removing the whole starter - just its back cover?

Posted

Just a little heads up.  If you do remove the starter, make sure you leave the .040" gap between the starter and starter cover when you reinstall it.  If you don't, your cover will crack in short order.... JImChuk

Posted

I went through this on mine.  They had riveted the back cover plate on the starter housing in the firewall.  I drilled out the rivets and pulled the back plate off and was able to reach in with an extension and pull starter off.  I was on floats at the time and doing this all over water and managed to pull it off and reinstall with only dropping one nut in the lake.  It really was not that hard to do.  You can get a starter off ebay much cheaper than one from Rotax and it is a direct bolt on (pretty sure they are under a 100 bucks.  You can get the brush plate and brushes for around 40 bucks too if you do some digging, but for me it was just as easy to have a new starter in hand and bolt it on.  I did rebuild the old starter and have it sitting on the shelf in case I need one.

Posted

Rotax 582 Replacement starter (Rotax PN 995430) choices:

Cheapest (same part number) $65!! , https://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p/new-starter-ski-doo-snowmobile-410-207-500-995430/

What I bought, $195  https://www.ebay.com/itm/233052881422

Aircraft Spruce, $262  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/starters_xrotax/gplheavydutystrtrmtr.php

Rotax Pricing $903 (but this is a full kit with housing and gear, not a fair comparison)  https://www.air-techinc.com/product_detail.php?pid=2442

1 person likes this

Posted

And the winner is: Avirex (the French Rotax representative): $883 for the  starter only! (Loravia, another French supplier, quotes $300)

Posted

And the winner is: Avirex (the French Rotax representative): $883 for the  starter only! (Loravia, another French supplier, quotes $300)

Jeromef, EBay!