Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Backcountry runway project

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Got a nice spot on our place to put a 1100' runway. It's kinda of a hill type runway. The approach from the north is really good, since the runway is on a hill you can fly up the hill and use the hill to bleed off airspeed and touch down towards the top but than it a gentle slope down hill south. The south end approach you gota come over a hill with some small trees and slip it down toward the threshold, but its uphill all the way. I started working it last fall but with all rain we've had down here and with regular work getting in the way its taking longer than I expected, but turning out like I expected:) I'll try to post some pics from the start, to where I've got it now, as of 4-11-20. It changes every day since I've been able to work on it about every day, due to C-19. And no,  I didn't push all those tree out with the big dozer, I just used that big thing to push them over the hill the burn them;)

20190827_192318.jpg

20190826_113052.jpg

20190826_183504.jpg

20190905_120709.jpg

20190905_145055.jpg

20190905_172853.jpg

20200226_141357.jpg

20200303_112735.jpg

20200306_145240.jpg

20200307_085815.jpg

20200313_185920.jpg

20200411_175519.jpg

Edited by FireFoxIV
8 people like this

Posted

Pretty nice.  Wish I would have had that big cat when I put my strip in.  I sure could have used it.  Nothing like having a strip in your back yard.  Makes for a lot more flying.  Keep at it!  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This is one of the two dump trucks we have that we used to haul top soil off the runway. 20200328_102420.thumb.jpg.1c41226578b09920200327_144345.thumb.jpg.72971e50e59bb4

The excavator in the 2nd pic is a komatsu pc-400 which weighs around 98k pounds 

I agree with you Jim, I'm so excited to have a runway on our place. The closes hanger I could find to put the Fox in is an hour away, so I dont get to go flying very often:(

Edited by FireFoxIV
3 people like this

Posted

Wow! some serious machinery!  I had clay for soil in my area, and when it's dry in the summer, it's hard like concrete.  My D 6 has a 11'6" wide blade, and it would not cut into that clay.  Built a ripper tooth that fit on the blade and was easily removable, and took multiple passes to bust up that clay.  Still lots of time spent, but worth it.   JImChuk

Posted

I know whatcha mean. The little dozer wouldn't touch the clay, but you could sink the rippers half way down with the big dozer and still push a full blade:)

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice big “FAT ALICE” hahahaaa i mean Fiat Allis.  Good old machines along with International and some others, but they all get bought up buy bigger companys and turn in to a Caterpiller or Hitachi or Volvo and we pay twice the money for them. Hahahhaaaaa i love the older equipment that y ive got a heard of older equipment. Strong!!!!! 

Posted

Pretty awesome!

Posted

Spreadin top soil. woohoo 

Does anyone have a good suggestion for grass? I'll be to that part fairly soon

20200416_173714.jpg

20200416_194851.jpg

20200416_172819.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Self mowing grass!  Otherwise one with a good deep root system.

Posted

I suggest you check with your local extension agency.  They will be able to give you good guidance into what will be the best for you area.  You will want a mix of sod forming grasses that will grow without additional water. Mowing is another consideration. Another good resource will be existing sod runway owner/operators in your state. Contact info is on Foreflight and other places.

Posted

I suggest you check with your local extension agency.  They will be able to give you good guidance into what will be the best for you area.  You will want a mix of sod forming grasses that will grow without additional water. Mowing is another consideration. Another good resource will be existing sod runway owner/operators in your state. Contact info is on Foreflight and other places.

good idea 

Posted

Whatever you do, don't put any rye grass on it.  It grows in clumps and will make it very rough.

Posted

Big project!

Posted

Big project!

It's bigger than I initially thought it would be. Like everything  LOL

Posted

Wow, you guys are some serious runway builders!  I hope to do that at the place in OR sometime, but will probably just log some trees for an approach to the hay field and move some of the irrigation standpipes; then just have to make sure the plane has the performance and can handle it.

Your runway will be pretty awesome!

Posted

I wish I could have just cleared some trees for the approach end and have place to land;) But here in Arkansas you gotta push over hills and fill valleys to get something flat enough.

A buddy a mine flew over yesterday evening and got me some pics from the air

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_3.jpg

Resized_20200421_194825.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

you could get an Airbus in there.

Posted

you could get an Airbus in there.

hahahaha. It might just be in a 1000 pieces:lmao:

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm all ready for seed tomorrow 

Cellphone pics ain't the best:wacko:

20200520_203840.jpg

IMG_2873.JPG

20200520_203847.jpg

Edited by FireFoxIV
2 people like this

Posted

Nice!

Posted

Got it seeded, fertilized, and rolled

20200521_121339.jpg

20200521_123352.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

Looks fantastic!  The neighbors are going to hate you when the horrible thunderstorm comes and dumps 5 inches of rain in 2 hours.  You know it is going to happen! :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Posted

https://youtu.be/DKHM7gozwfo

Landed my Kitfox on my new runway last Tuesday.      Prty fun!!!

2 people like this