Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Whatca Workin on Pt 2

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well me and the wife bought this 40’ MCI bus about 6-7 yrs ago from the Santa Clause House in North Pole Ak, was there tourbus and they where upgrading to VanHools.  We did the nice but cheap quick inside to use for trips fishin, campin, and the the state fair in Palmer Ak.  Since we got married backin 1994 we had always dreamed of building a 40’ motorcoach rv like u c on TV. Hahahaaa  (The kids r grown now, 18 and 23) So since the chassie is super sound, only has 257,000 miles on it.  And with whats happening in the world i thought goodtime to start.  So i drove it up by the garage/shop/mancave HaHaHa, and started tearing out the bunkbeds, carpet, ect we had in the back to start with a master bedroom wall and then bathroom as u move forward. (The back pass corner u can c the original MCI bathroom that we have been useing when campin) well time for coffee, english muffin, and turn on the heat in motorcoach and get started.  More pic to come. 

6AB45770-221A-45AD-90BE-9CA726414DDD.jpeg

0D2BE787-D7DA-4AC7-8952-B83996D3539F.jpeg

51B0DF7D-EB7D-4E97-A938-73E696C2D1B2.jpeg

Edited by Buckchop
3 people like this

Posted

Does that sucker have the 12V71 in it?

Posted

No this is a newer model than the 71 series motors, dont know if ive ever cn one with a V12, talk about power.  This is an 1981 MCI so it has the 8V92 with a turbo   And of course about every 2stroke detroit deisel motor had the supercharger.  Also has a 6speed Alison transmission.
Well what a JOB cleaning out all the nasty sidewall carpet, flooring, and old heater duckting, 2 pickup loads of crap.   But got the first wall built, everything behind it is master bedroom. Now for the shower/tub install today.  

9FC159DD-40CB-44F6-BBA3-8B817B9B6C59.jpeg

96C9651F-3A21-4280-8430-98E67CD8845E.jpeg

Posted

Looking good, that Silver 92 is a better engine the 12V71, they were good at burning fuel and big and heavy.

1 person likes this

Posted

We here in hillbilly land call that a mansion!  We usually go with something like a 56 international school bus. Complete with seats, we can sleep 40 hillbillies in it.

2 people like this

Posted

Got a liitle more done yesturday and today, and still going today. Hahahaaaa got a few more old things out, and the shower/tub installed, one closet across from bathroom, the pooper, and few walls built. 

8FD68B42-8E9A-4392-8C90-49678A0AFEA9.jpeg

A90E44B7-4568-4B82-BC32-857E12B0D7F0.jpeg

F9EFECCD-19FF-4D62-A6A2-37D5D5C8C530.jpeg

CC2207D1-F172-478E-9F8D-150EE173FAA9.jpeg

Posted (edited)

For the record, ALL 2-stroke Detroits have a blower.  These are not super-chargers they are blowers to move the air through the ports to the combustion chambers and evacuate exhaust gasses.  Without the blower it would not run.  They do not provide boost over standard atmospheric pressure.

Later, more powerful engines added the turbo to gain boost over standard atmospheric pressure.

Great looking project, BTW.  Have you ever tuned into the "Bus Greasemonkey" on YouTube?  He's a traveling Detroit mechanic who only works on old GM busses.

https://www.youtube.com/user/avonpicturethis

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well thank Av8r3400 u but to make it all correct and not start an argument.  

NOT ALL 2STROKE DETROIT DEISEL MOTORS HAVE A BLOWER

sorry to tell u that. Would u like a pic of some i have? The blower is a update from a normaly asperated one, just like the turbo is a update to the blower, like the earlie 71, late modle 71 started with a blower, then to the 92, silver 92 ect. 

Im sorry the streetrodder/drag racer in me used the supercharger reference, but all in all that is what it is, does the same job ( a large airpump that is able to b under driven, or can b over driven to create boost)  and many people took them off detroit deisle motors and made new endplates and extention snouts for belts (instead of gear driven like in detroit motors) and installed them on gasoline motors. Then they made that blower better by installing teflon strips in the end if the vains rotors to get better boost seal. 

And yeppers i have been checkin out all the utube videos on people converting them, sure some SUPER DAMM nice ones out there.   

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Mmmm well i thought i was rolling good on the conversion, but when i went to make a hole for a pooper drain there was a support beam for the motorcoach that i was not going to cut, remove, modifi. Hahahaaaa so the bathroom got extended 8 more inchs and the pooper got moved to the side. Hope today will b startin the kitchen cabnets. 

00CB4219-F767-43AB-8AC2-8EABCC0E56A3.jpeg

288C10F9-8FA6-4284-8313-E09DA942C1CD.jpeg

Posted

I bet you will like it there better anyway. It keeps that nice open walk through bath room. I like it.

Posted

Well thank Av8r3400 u but to make it all correct and not start an argument.  

NOT ALL 2STROKE DETROIT DEISEL MOTORS HAVE A BLOWER

sorry to tell u that. Would u like a pic of some i have? The blower is a update from a normaly asperated one, just like the turbo is a update to the blower, like the earlie 71, late modle 71 started with a blower, then to the 92, silver 92 ect. 

Im sorry the streetrodder/drag racer in me used the supercharger reference, but all in all that is what it is, does the same job ( a large airpump that is able to b under driven, or can b over driven to create boost)  and many people took them off detroit deisle motors and made new endplates and extention snouts for belts (instead of gear driven like in detroit motors) and installed them on gasoline motors. Then they made that blower better by installing teflon strips in the end if the vains rotors to get better boost seal. 

And yeppers i have been checkin out all the utube videos on people converting them, sure some SUPER DAMM nice ones out there.   

Not engaging in an argument, but yes, I would very much like to see a 2-stroke Detroit Diesel engine without a gear driven roots type blower.

Please educate me.

Posted

Looking good! +1 on the new throne location. Dang windows are never in the right spot, lol.

Posted (edited)

Av8r3400,  Will do, next time im up at the shop/mine here at home i need to plow hardpack off with loader, and open the mine for the season since its 43 this am, ill make a road to the screen plant and ill take a few pic and post them.  

Tjay,  i do like it much better where its moved to, nice floor space in there now. Cant wait to start coverin the walls with T&G pine,  and man there a HUGE difference already between the insulated area now far as heat.  The bus was a little chilly with original  minimal insulation MCI had in there. Hahahaaaaa. 

FF2D950A-D614-46B5-8274-432AE337C067.jpeg

88B3685E-D7CA-4E04-B88A-D0F9193F7061.jpeg

Edited by Buckchop
Add pic
1 person likes this

Posted

Well Thurday was a heck of a productive day. Got lower kitchen cabnets in, fridge in, and stove set in till get counter top. Even finished up bathroom walls and cabnet/sink. 

EBA2D28C-5E2B-49F8-B9CE-6CC961276273.jpeg

C3E8ECCF-24DE-49DF-BDF6-CA0D323CE735.jpeg

Posted

Rats pic trouble again. Stay tuned for broadcast, Hahaaaa ill try again later. 

Posted

Counter top? The OSB works fine ha.

1 person likes this

Posted

Finally got that water out of eyes and sickness out of the guy about the PA12, so got back to the motorcoach.  Got alot done lately even started covering the walls with t&g wainscot and covered bathroom with t&g pine planks, i really like how its starting to look like my dream (retirement) log home. Hahahahahaaaaaa

1C612C4B-90E3-4CAC-9E47-227E83FC24CE.jpeg

4 people like this

Posted

Got the plumbing done for the bathroom and kitchen, electrical for bathroom, and the T&G on the bathroom walls, now doing the intake and exhaust holes ect for the propane/elec fridge.  Hope today to have all the fridge stuff done. 

Damm i still not able to post pic. 

Posted

Damm i still not able to post pic. 

Sometimes all it takes is a restart on the computer.

Posted (edited)

Think i have tried that Tj not sure. Hahahaaaaaa
 When try to post pic it says “there was a problem procesing the uploaded file -200” 

Looks like i can post pic today but on the for sale not able to do it here again for some reason. Hahahahaaaa

Edited by Buckchop
Erase my att rant. Sorry.

Posted

Will try a few pic again. Form hasnt let me post any since begining of May. 
WELL i guess i still cant post a pic. RATS!!!!! Hahahahaaaaa

Posted

Still waiting to see that elusive 2-stroke Detroit that does not have a blower.

BTW, this is the smallest Detroit 2-stroke, a 1-53 engine.  Note the blower on the side.

1-53.thumb.png.4673a861c0aff838b2ce6ae71

Posted

Av8r3400, well took me a bit to get back to u on this since its mining season,

YOU R CORRECT ON THE BLOWER ON A DETRIOT DEISEL.  The motor i was thinking of that i have here isnt a detriot, its some german 6cyl i always thought was a detroit but never paid that much attention. 

So i was not right on the discussion, And u where correct. Smallest detriot i have here is a 3-53 in a mid 1960 studabaker one ton flat bed.  All original driver. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Smallest detriot i have here is a 3-53 in a mid 1960 studabaker one ton flat bed.  All original driver. 

Now that is something I'd like to see some pics of!  That sounds super-kool!

Posted

Will do buddy, she is a cool rig, and that jimmy sound from her is awesome. Hahhaahahaaa