Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jabiru FWF Weight.

14 posts in this topic

Posted

SO before I put my engine back on I thought I would weigh it. With straight pipe Exhaust, Oil, Oil Cooler, Fiberglass ram air ducts and oil cooler ram air duct.  Rotec TBI. total weight is 151.3lbs

Just in case any body was wondering.

3 people like this

Posted

Funny you posted this. I was just considering a Jab for my model 2. I am not sure if the Hirth and I are going to become friends. A Jab is currently the only option available at this time. If I can't make friends with the Hirth, then time to part company. Next few days will tell.

Posted

As a comparison, the UL260 is 159 lbs. And a little more pricy. Well, maybe a lot more.  Not many used ones out there.

Posted

As a comparison, the UL260 is 159 lbs. And a little more pricy. Well, maybe a lot more.  Not many used ones out there

I just looked on the Jabiru site, and they say 132 lbs including exhaust, carb and starter.  So if the UL is saying 159, and including the same things, it's still going to be 27 lbs more or so all up flying weight.  TJay, did you have the motor mount attached to the engine, or any other things?  Oil adds about 5 lbs.  I would have guessed a bit lighter, although I'm not doubting what you say.  Thanks for the info.  JImChuk

Posted

All the engine manufacturers fudge on their engine weights. Just part of the game they play. Same as kit companies fudge on airframe weights.

Posted

No engine mount but did have oil in it.  And I bet Jabiru is not including an oil cooler or ram air ducts. And my fiberglass work is a bit heaver than most because I'm not sure what I'm doing there.

2 people like this

Posted

Anybody want to take a shot at a 582 including cooling system?  Forget what Rotax states. Keep seeing a model 1 on barnstormers w/582 listed at 426 lbs. empty. Don't think so!

Posted

I think they would be up around 135 lbs, complete with radiator and coolant.  I had an Avid B with a 532 that was 445 lbs, but it had a rope starter and no battery.  My Kitfox 1 with 582 and electric start was 496.  JImChuk

Posted

Let me add the 91 HP Rotax 670 to this list. I pulled the 582, its 2 bladed Culver wood prop and the 6 qt oil tank, added the 670 and its exhaust, a Warp Drive 3 bladed prop, a belly radiator, and a Highwing LLC landing gear (same wheels and tires), and a double tail wheel spring. The airplane weighs 21 lbs more after those mods.

I would bet the 91 HP 670 is about 13 to 15 lbs heavier than the 65 HP 582, including the belly radiator and prop.

Posted

Let me add the 91 HP Rotax 670 to this list. I pulled the 582, its 2 bladed Culver wood prop and the 6 qt oil tank, added the 670 and its exhaust, a Warp Drive 3 bladed prop, a belly radiator, and a Highwing LLC landing gear (same wheels and tires), and a double tail wheel spring. The airplane weighs 21 lbs more after those mods.

I would bet the 91 HP 670 is about 13 to 15 lbs heavier than the 65 HP 582, including the belly radiator and prop.

That's pretty good power to weight. I never minded flying with a 2 stroke i just hated buying oil all the time.

Posted

TJay,

Yep, the 2 strokes have great power to weight, but poor fuel economy and the mess of the mixed oil. I think the internet myth about 2 stroke reliability is just a myth. I saw some data from Australia when the authorities were studying the Jab failures, where the 2 strokes had just about the same reliability as the typical Lycoming or Continental.

Posted

I would sacrifice 10-20 lbs for more hp. I really prefer air cooled to water cooled but being water cooled does have a couple advantages. I don't think reliability is an issue anymore, at least with the currently used 2 strokes.

1 person likes this

Posted

When I pulled the Rotax 582 off my II  Everything weighed 129 lbs, this was everything, motor mount radiator exhaust firewall ect, only thing missing was water and oil.

1 person likes this

Posted

Figured out one issue with the Hirth today. The dang thing starts so quick that it tries to idle at 6-700 RPM which wants to remove itself from the airframe. Have to set idle with throttle stops instead of idle screws on carbs. It starts in about 2 blades due to the timing advance. Now on to the next issue.

1 person likes this