Tailwheel wiggle

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey folks,

I'm super new here and to kitfox.  The tailwheel seems to have some wiggle...is this normal?

IMG_7477.mov

Posted

I have a brand new one of those at home remind me tomorrow night and Ill check it for you if you don't get a reply on here.

Posted

I have the same tailwheel and no wiggle in it. Where is the wiggle? 

Posted

Video shows mostly...its both lateral and vertical.  Took it all apart, doesnt seem like anything is missing or broken...maybe I'm missing  awash or something...It seems like the nut on top (under the cap) should be tighter, but its as tight as it'll go.

Posted

I think Aircraft Spruce has a breakdown in their catalog. There are a couple of washers or spacers, retaining ring, bearing, etc in the mix, maybe one is missing or out of order. Should be smooth operating but no wiggle or loose parts to move around. The nut will tighten to a certain point and then a locking pin. Something may be worn to allow the nut to tighten but still allow some slack. Compare it with the diagram in their catalog and go from there.Its hard to pinpoint unless one has it in their hands.

Posted (edited)

I'm kind of in the same boat as TJay.  I think I have a new one out in the hangar.  If I remember I'll have a look at it tomorrow.  Of hand though, seems like a lot of play in it to me.  

I couldn't resist.  Had to run out to the garage about 50' away where I'm restoring the Kitfox 4.  It has an 8" Maule on it, and it has about half as much wiggle as yours does.  Not sure if that is the original tailwheel or not, the plane has about 640 hrs on it. JImChuk

PS, if you want to do an exact replacement, I probably would part with one that hasn't been used other then just moving a plane around on 

PS PS   Welcome to the group.  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I'm kind of in the same boat as TJay.  I think I have a new one out in the hangar.  If I remember I'll have a look at it tomorrow.  Of hand though, seems like a lot of play in it to me.  

I couldn't resist.  Had to run out to the garage about 50' away where I'm restoring the Kitfox 4.  It has an 8" Maule on it, and it has about half as much wiggle as yours does.  Not sure if that is the original tailwheel or not, the plane has about 640 hrs on it. JImChuk

PS, if you want to do an exact replacement, I probably would part with one that hasn't been used other then just moving a plane around on 

PS PS   Welcome to the group.  

Hi Jim,

If I did a direct replacement, what would you want for the one in your hangar?

Posted (edited)

So I just pulled it apart again to make sure all the pieces are there.   Anyone have any insight?

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 10.29.52 PM.png

IMG_7479.jpeg

Edited by Koffy

Posted

If the bushing #15 is worn out you can have a lot of play.  The shoulder if worn will allow the arm to move up and down and if the bore is worn side to side movement. A common issue with the Maule tailwheel.

Posted

I did check a couple of other tailwheels today, and they all had some wiggle front to back, but probably not as much up and down as yours has.  Not sure I have a new one now after all.  Maybe a Matco 8" pneumatic is in your future.  They are about 1/3 of what Maule wants for the 6" hard tire, and they seem to work quite well.  JImChuk

Posted

Mine wiggles too Maybe pump them full of grease might help?

Posted

Do you mean shimmy on landing?

?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I was unable to view the movie in your first post so I don't know what you mean by wiggle.

if you mean shimmy on landing, Tire pressure, tire wear, castor angle, worn parts, the way the plane is loaded, and all kinds of things can produce shimmy. However, there is only one way to ABSOLUTELY prevent it that I am aware of. That is resistive damping. Meaning enough friction in the back and forth movement of the tire so as to critically dampen any resonance that occurs for any reason. it's a really simple concept and it will always work. Anything else is just moving the resonant frequency around so it is hopefully out of play. And that does seem to work sometimes, but that is like a balloon of shit. You squeeze it somewhere and it just swells up somewhere else. The only way I know to ensure the tailwheel wont shimmy ever is to critically dampen all resonance and that only be done with resistive damping (friction).

That's my opinion which with $4.00 will get you a mocha at starbucks.

Edited by ChrisBolkan
2 people like this

Posted

ChrisBolkan is right on, and for a shimmying tail wheel, the fix is to put more torque on the pivot bolt, which adds friction damping to the tail wheel rotation. Usually there is a wavy washer below the bolt head that can be sequentially crushed until shimmy disappears, see item 3 in the below print.

document1.pdf

1 person likes this