Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sport Pilot

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Since I haven't followed it very much, what is the process from converting from a private license to sport pilot license. Since I am current as a private now, it may be a while before I can schedule a 3rd class phy.

Posted

Allen, you don't "Convert" to sport pilot.   Just let your medical lapse.  You can fly under sport pilot rules with a Private Pilot Certificate.

Posted

Allen, you don't "Convert" to sport pilot.   Just let your medical lapse.  You can fly under sport pilot rules with a Private Pilot Certificate.

Somebody said one time that one had to do the questionnaire online for sport pilot. I am guessing that is for new students only. Thanks!

Posted

You have to do training for Basic Med and see your family doctor but not an AME.  For operating as a sport pilot there is nothing, except you still need a BFR and can't fly at night.

Posted

I'll try to keep my 3rd class as long as possible just due to old habits, even though I rarely fly anything above a light sport. I located another AME that is still doing 3rd class currently during whatever one calls this situation we are in. Night flying is out in these mountains with a 2 stroke, single engine aircraft. Plus most of our strips are unlighted anyway. But at least I have another option down the road. The Fox will probably be my last go at rebuilding another plane so all is good. Now that its finished, just waiting on better weather.

Posted

Just keep in kind that if your 3rd class medical is ever denied, you can't fly under sport pilot rules unless you get it reinstated.

Posted

Medical reasons isn't an issue so I am good there(so far).