912UL ignitions/mags

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to kitfox/rotax ownership.  Been going through the model 2 I bought (with 912UL) and I've been having issues with one ignition dropping off at higher RPM.  Traced wires and replaced what looked damaged but to be honest its a messy cluster of crap that was done.  Just curious if there is anything I should be looking at before I start trying to locate new ignition modules...?

IMG_7351.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

Posted

Not unusual to develop a broken ground wire comming from a coil.  I would try to find out what plugs are missfireing and check everything on that coil or coils going to the missfireing plugs.  There also are 2 trigger coils by the flywheel going up to the ignition boxes.  Red wires if I remember correctly.  If you swap the trigger coil wires and the miss doesnt change sides, prolly trigger coils are good.  If the miss goes to the other side you could have a broken wire there also. You can also swap the 4 prong plugs coming from the ignition boxes.    I had to go through this a year or so ago.   Also if you unhook your kill wires and the miss is the same, it's probably not the ignition switch or wires going to it..  JImChuk

Posted

Hey Koffy,

from my experience, you better proceed step by step. Before incriminating the modules (they very rarely brake) go through all your ignition system first. Looking at the pictures I would start over/ take everything off, replace all your ign. wires , check all connectors, grounds , measure the coils , check your trigger coils & gap , measure power cable to the ignition boxes (known to be a problem on old harness) , check your ignition switch circuits (see Jim's advice)

I have spent toooooo many hours trying to troubleshoot the system installed with no success. Only after removing it all making the access easy did I find my issues. 

My 2cents

Posted

Hey guys,

So I was just down sorting through the ignition cables and one of the wires broke off with no force at all, from inside one of the ignition modules.  It doesn't seem I can open this thing up...so a new module needs to be sourced.  I will still be changing out all the connectors and wires in the meantime.  Anyone got any idea on where I can find a Ducati ignition module that's used/QC'ed?  These look to be $900 each new!  Yikes.

Thanks for any/all help

Posted

Reach out to Hal Stockman from Zipper Big Bore Kits.   He has a good cash of used parts and sources for more.  

Posted

Welcome to the wonderful world of Rotax prices and 912 ownership. A used engine is worth more in parts than whole.