Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AOA

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody ever installed a AOA indicator on their Avid/Fox?  Most I've looked at install on the leading edge of the wing, which doesn't  work with our wing spar.

Posted

Most I've seen lately install like a pitot. Here are a couple examples, Garmin and Dynon.

dynon aoa probe.png

Garmin aoa.png

Posted

Do u mean a BACON SAVER? Hahahaaa 

Posted (edited)

Do u mean a BACON SAVER? Hahahaaa 

I guess it could be called that!  Surprising that I haven't heard or seen anything in the Flying Cowboys videos about them. One could be an asset to a STOL pilot when trying to land as short as possible. But then what they call short could give some of us a chuckle. To me, short means its got a big H in the middle of it.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

I think Trent Palmer has one on his plane.  But then I've been wrong before.... even admitted it once:lmao:JImChuk

Posted

I've only been wrong twice, got the alimony canceled checks to prove it !!

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe you were wrong only once.  If you had figured out how to get along with the first one, the second one wouldn't have happened.  I think that makes the second one 'unintended consequences'.  Why am I not out working on my Kitfox?  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

With my build, I bought a Dwyer differential pressure gauge to use as a lift reserve indicator.  You add a second pitot tube angled down ~45 degrees and this gauge reads the difference between the pitot pressure and this tube.  Costs ~$50.  I am also working on a DIY glass screen that will have an electronic pressure sensor to give me the same info and could also sound an alarm but first I want to get the airplane flying...

1 person likes this

Posted

I built one of these LRI and flew with it a while but found that it just wasn't for me.  Found that it was better to listen/feel the airplane and respond without distracting me from the job at hand. I still have it around somewhere and the patched hole in the panel to remind me:wacko: Your mileage my very.

Posted

I have an AOA in my plane.  It is an awesome addition to my flying and I believe an added safety measure.  I use the Dynon dual input pitot tube hooked to my D180.  This also outputs an audio warning into the intercom.

Posted

They might not be for everybody.

Posted

Here is a pic of the one i have, i bought an ivo pro from a guy this winter and he sent this with it as an extra. 

08A0957C-3093-4BFA-8454-9E1A0264BE7A.jpeg

81BB9D46-905B-461B-BB65-4F260597E798.jpeg