Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My ski flying video for today

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  It's poor quality, sound is out of sync,  first takeoff somehow disappeared.  My old Chinese gopro went out of sync couple of years ago, sound to video, so I finally got another and used it today.  It does the same thing.  (buy cheap, get cheap?? probably)  I killed my first one by trying to charge it with the wrong type of cord, but the sound stayed in sync with it till it died anyway.  Back to the video:  temp was about +20, and the heater in the plane kept up quite well.  Density alt was -1100' so the Avid performed pretty good.  It took 34 seconds to go from plane starting to move to reaching 500' AGL.  Flew for about an hour, and had a good time going no where really.  Saw quite a few deer out on the lakes, snow isn't near as deep on them, so the deer can move around much better.  I don't think the wolves are starving this year.  Snow is still pretty deep in the woods, and getting a crust on it that the wolves can probably run on but the deer sink in.  Easy on the wolf, bad on the deer.  Any way, hope you enjoy my video, poor as it is.  I had fun flying for it anyway!   JImChuk

7 people like this

Posted

Very cool Jim I have never flown on skis but is that an spooky feeling coasting toward the end of your runway with out the use of brakes?

Posted

Very cool Jim I have never flown on skis but is that an spooky feeling coasting toward the end of your runway with out the use of brakes?

Posted

I dont think so, u just plan ahead little more, and try stuffing the tail in the ground, but heck im new at it to.  Tjay did u use the skidoo springs on ur bushgear? I did and thinking mayb a little to weak. 

Posted

Thanks guys, my strip is icy like a skating rink right now.  I flew again this evening also.  If I would have shut the engine off, I would have been stopped by the time I went 3/4 of the way down the strip, and I could tell that by the way things were feeling.  But as was said, you have to get a feel for where or how far you are going to slide.  We are getting a bit of snow now, so that will slow down the plane quite a bit compared to the ice rink I have out there now..  Usually I use a tail ski, but haven't put it on and I'm not leaving any ruts with the tailwheel.   It's hard. JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Dug mine out of the barn today and did a couple laps on the lake before sunset.  Need to replace a leaky fuel valve but hope to put some hours on coming up.

Needs to warm up outside though because the frozen old crusty drifts are too rough out on the lakes.  Need em to get soft and more "mashed potatoes" consistency.  Should be good here next week.

2020-03-20 20.24.15.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox
3 people like this

Posted

Way to go you guys, keep up with the pictures and videos!

1 person likes this

Posted

Couple hours in today.  Absolutely perfect day to get out.  Had a few "sticky / glue trap snow" moments in the 45F sun but the Yamaha pulled me through it.

20200323_172150.jpg

3 people like this