Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aluminum spring gear (not grove)

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I seem to remember that there used to be another company making aluminum spring gear besides Grove.  Out of business now I believe though.  Does anyone remember the name of that company?  The name escapes me at the moment.  Thanks,  JImChuk

PS  did some more digging, and it was Hammerhead Aviation.  They haven't made any spring gear in 20 years it seems

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I believe Robby Grove bought them out.

Posted

I did talk to both Grove and Hammer head Aviation yesterday.  Grove gave me the name of the 'other guy'.  When I called them, they said they haven't made any in 20 years.  I didn't ask, and they didn't say why.  Quite likely you are correct Larry.  JImChuk

Posted

I had gun drilled Hammerhead gear on my KF4-1200. The HH inc owner and Robbie used to work together, but had their differences on the best aluminum alloy to use and eventually split over it. Turns out HH was right, Grove originally used a softer alloy and it cost them a fortune to rebend and temper a LOT of their guaranteed springs. Eventually, Grove changed to the other more robust alloy. I had a bunch of HH inc brochures plus some other articles and info in my purchase paperwork, interesting story I thought. FWIW, my jet pilot CFI bent the gear practicing his hot carrier landings with my plane and I spoke to Robbie at OSH that year about rebending it for me. He said he could/would for a very reasonable fee but I ended up buying a new main spring because they heat treat in batches and couldn't give me a timeframe.

Posted (edited)

I have an alum gear but none of the parts to attach it to the plane. got it with other stuff.

Is there a name on the gear some where of who made it?

I has four bolt 3/4 axels on it 

Looks like it had a tag glued on the back side. its gone

Edited by akflyerbob

Posted

There should be a serial #on the center front or back of the gear if it was made by grove.  Not sure about the hammerhead gear.  How thick is the aluminum, and how wide front to back  in the center area?

Posted

I see no number stamped front or back.

front to back is 5" and they are 1/2" thick

they are not drilled

Posted

I just did some checking this week with grove on a gear that was. 3/4" x  5" and it was for a 900 lb gross weight. Can't imagine  what 1/2" thick would be for.  JImChuk