Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Not totally sure what I have here

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all.  My name is Lance Hoch, coming at you from Moses Lake, Wa. I own a 1950 Cessna 170 A. I’ve always wanted to build, I took a small leap and purchased an unfinished project. I’m not totally sure what I purchased exactly. The usb drive that came with the plane has plans for an avid flyer, a kit fox, and a Mohawk. Welds aren’t pretty, includes a “boat anchor” ea81 and a bunch of random parts and pieces. I’m trying to put a game plan together. I figure at this point I will print out some hard copies of the plans and compare them to what I have and draw out exactly what I have. If anyone here knows what I have at a glance let me know. Words of advice? 

14FFEABD-CFFE-4B60-9E38-563ACD9EE1E9.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

:welcome: Lance

Early model Kitfox clipwings and Mohawk fuse is my thought. Especially with your poor welds comment. Does not appear to be an Avid or KF 3-7 fuse IMHO. Keep us posted!

1 person likes this

Posted

My thought is fuselage is an Avid type due to the shape of the vertical and a few other little clues. The wings, well, they could be either one. It could very well be a copy of an Avid/Fox fuselage of the homebrew variety. The wings are Avid/Fox type most likely factory kit made. Ribs don't appear to have much undercamber, either. I'd try to trace the history of it. Might be interesting to find out.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well, Allen is right, those are KF 4-7 Riblett laminar flow ribs. Definitely short wings (my KF 3 and 4 both had 8 ribs outboard of the fuel tank, not 7). The tank bay looks like stock KF slip in tank design as well with the rib tail and KF ribs have the triangular cutouts while Avid has oval. The fuse does not appear Avid or KF to me for a few reasons, one of which is cabin tubing and truss design, another the shape and location of the lift handle. Avids were on the lower longeron, KF on the top. Both had rounded handles, not angular as in the photo. It just doesn't look like my KF 3 or 4 fuse either, I'm sure Jim Chuk will compare to his KF 1 and 2. I've never studied the Mohawk plans, be interesting to see if the fuse fits the plans.

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted

I was told the fuselage was widened..... (from what? Idk) Looks to have been built to accommodate a nose wheel..... I’d definitely like to change to a tail wheel. I want a little back country bird when I’m all done. Any suggestions on what modifications I should consider from this point? 

Posted

Couple of things I noticed.  The seat truss is built like a ladder.  No diagonal tubes in it at all.  I think it would buckle in the first solid landing if configured as a tail dragger.  Kitfox and Avid have diagonal tubes to stiffen that area, hence the word "truss".  And even then it's been a bit of a week area in both types of planes.  (I know)  Also, the wing ribs may have been home made, Copied from the Kitfox 4 design perhaps, but having rib tails like the earlier models.   My guess is a copy of Avid or Kitfox.  Maybe Mohawk, but the bottom of the doors on the Mohawk were shaped like a Kitfox 1 or Avid A model.  This one has a door bottom more like later model Avids or Kitfoxes.   Can you get a picture of the firewall area?  Avid motor mounts have two bolts near the top, and 4 across the center, and if a Subaru was used, I believe they added one at the bottom center.  Kitfox has two at the top, 2 at the center, and one at the bottom.  The Mohawk plans copied the Kitfox 1 motor mount locations.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I am thinking avid speed wing ribs.  The Mod IV KF/Ribblet airfoil have difference hangers.

1 person likes this

Posted

Couple of things I noticed.  The seat truss is built like a ladder.  No diagonal tubes in it at all.  I think it would buckle in the first solid landing if configured as a tail dragger.  Kitfox and Avid have diagonal tubes to stiffen that area, hence the word "truss".  And even then it's been a bit of a week area in both types of planes.  (I know)  Also, the wing ribs may have been home made, Copied from the Kitfox 4 design perhaps, but having rib tails like the earlier models.   My guess is a copy of Avid or Kitfox.  Maybe Mohawk, but the bottom of the doors on the Mohawk were shaped like a Kitfox 1 or Avid A model.  This one has a door bottom more like later model Avids or Kitfoxes.   Can you get a picture of the firewall area?  Avid motor mounts have two bolts near the top, and 4 across the center, and if a Subaru was used, I believe they added one at the bottom center.  Kitfox has two at the top, 2 at the center, and one at the bottom.  The Mohawk plans copied the Kitfox 1 motor mount locations.   JImChuk

I will get a picture for you this evening thank you. If these weaker design characteristics can be overcome I’d like to attempt to remedy them. 

Posted

You CAN remedy them! Plus build the bird you want. Just a little time and energy needs spent. A good thing about old style cage fuselages, A welder and a little sweat, you got a strong fuselage. You've got a good start on a custom project!

1 person likes this

Posted

I am thinking avid speed wing ribs.  The Mod IV KF/Ribblet airfoil have difference hangers.

Well they do look like the KF Riblett profile, not Avid speed rib. Note the slight undercamber on the lower aft capstrip. They do, however, appear to use the Avid style long ribs for flaperon hinge mounts. Jim may be right, perhaps a one-off hybrid rib with the KF profile but designed for use with Avid flaperons? I suppose that might be consistent with someone willing to weld up a fuselage from plans.

Heres's the comparison of the KF4-7 rib (top) vs, Avid speed rib.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks to me like you have a good start  to anything you want.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well they do look like the KF Riblett profile, not Avid speed rib. Note the slight undercamber on the lower aft capstrip. They do, however, appear to use the Avid style long ribs for flaperon hinge mounts. Jim may be right, perhaps a one-off hybrid rib with the KF profile but designed for use with Avid flaperons? I suppose that might be consistent with someone willing to weld up a fuselage from plans.

Heres's the comparison of the KF4-7 rib (top) vs, Avid speed rib.

Good points.  I would say the triangular versus oval cut outs are a bit of a giveaway as well.  I must be slipping a bit in my old age :lmao:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

7A3EF955-8F50-4B74-A750-49B35EDC0AFD.jpeg

Posted

Don't think it is a mohawk fuselage.  I have one that i welded up from the plans, the front does'nt look the same. 

Posted

Have you made progress on your plane? It is sometimes a challenge to get a project that was started by several others.