Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Beading tool

11 posts in this topic

Posted

For those that want one, you can make a beading tool out of one of those push/pull pins that has the little ball on the end that you push the plunger to retract the ball. They come in various sizes to fit the inside of one;s line. They work on copper and aluminum but not steel lines. Might take a tad bit of modification to suit your purpose. But cheaper than $150 for a standard beading tool.  As we say in hillbilly land " Dang boy, run it through your head and see what pops out the other side". For me, its usually dead air, but some of you can figure it out.

1 person likes this

Posted

For those that can afford a $3-400 tool they work great. Sometimes for one aircraft or maybe two, it doesn't justify the cost to buy one. I have a toolbox with high dollar tools in it for A&P work but also have a bunch of homemade tools also. Sometimes its just easier to make what you need than order it. A good homebuilder can be a crafty little devil if he needs to be. But then for me, after a few years, "what the h&^# did I make this for?"

1 person likes this

Posted

For those that can afford a $3-400 tool they work great. Sometimes for one aircraft or maybe two, it doesn't justify the cost to buy one. I have a toolbox with high dollar tools in it for A&P work but also have a bunch of homemade tools also. Sometimes its just easier to make what you need than order it. A good homebuilder can be a crafty little devil if he needs to be. But then for me, after a few years, "what the h&^# did I make this for?"

I do that a lot.  Now I have to label the tools I make so I remember what half of them are for the next time I need to use it in a few years.

1 person likes this

Posted

They say memory is the second thing to go!  Since I don't remember what the first was, we'll leave it at that!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

D017FDB8-1BBF-4752-9A15-2DD78BC3BF2D.thu

This is my home brew version. Pretty easy to make out of scrap I had laying around. https://youtu.be/YtxCW6GG6fY

Edited by Kent
Add you tube link

Posted

movie didn't work for me.  Can you put it on utube?  JImChuk

Posted

It should work now, 

Posted

How about another video showing the makeup of the tool itself?

Posted

There are some things I missed mentioning, you need to do a little math to determine what size of bolt to use. For example you could use a larger bolt and only one bearing.

https://youtu.be/eMA5CW-DlEU

Posted

Thanks for putting it up on utube.  I like it, and will probably copy it.  JImChuk