Fabricating a cowl

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Well- Ive been working on this cowling now for several weeks and its been a true labor of love.  Thought I would share how and the WHY I did it...

I started off with the HKS 700E and had to modify the "bumps" to fit the cylinders,...my first go at fiberglass work.  

Just when I had it looking good- changed engines.  Had some serious issues trying to figure out the crossover on the exhaust on the 700E.  As I was researching, I found a 700T with an exhaust routing that looked promising and how could I pass up fuel injection AND a TURBO!  I knew I wasn't building real "light" so I thought the extra 20hp would be beneficial.

Now, with the new T mounted, the exhaust was promising BUT now I had an injector hitting the mount and I could no longer mount the huge oil tank in the old "starter" notch from the 582 setup........SO

Time to rethink the current cowling.  I built 2 new mounting plates moving the engine 2 1/2" forward to allow me to mount the oil tank behind the engine AND the intercooler behind to prevent me from having to hang it out in the breeze THUS nullifying and HP advantage I was gaining.  I wanted to keep as many of the mounting points intact on the upper and lower cowl so I trimmed back as far as necessary for both mounting and aesthetic purposes.  My plan was to "mate" the old section with the new,...attempted fusion!

So- with the Cirrus out of the hanger for new WAAS GPS's, I set out to make a terrible mess of dust, fiberglass, and epoxy!  Here are the steps I took...

1. Wrap engine with saran wrap

2. 1/2" wine corks hot glue gunned to any protrusion that may get close to the cowlings inner limits (don't ask how I got all the wine corks,...Aircraft Spruce?!?).

3. Spray foam tanks in a kit from Menards, not cheap, but really effective

4. Using the old wood saw, cut to rough form, minding carefully to any corks beginning to show thru

5. Sand to shape- and trust me, I am well aware its not perfectly balanced on both sides.  No measurements were used, formed with naked eye only ( and maybe a little of the leftover wine. )

6. drywall mud in two coats to firm up the creation

7. sand as smooth as possible WITHOUT going all the way thru to the foam,....which I did,....a couple times....

8. 3 coats enamel spray paint....and more wine 

9.  3 coats paste wax, polish to high gloss and a glass of wine between each coat

10. two glasses of wine and a layer of Vaseline with heat gun quick-melt

11. 3 layers fiberglass with epoxy resin.  then clean up all the drips of epoxy all over the hanger floor,..naw, never mind, more wine 

12. split the cowling, matching the original line and the thrust line

13. Bust 'er back open and begin picking away at all the foam that didn't release ( quite a bit around the nostrils)

IMG_0194 2.HEIC

IMG_0200 2.HEIC

IMG_0223.HEIC

IMG_0224.HEIC

IMG_0495.HEIC

IMG_0782.MOV

IMG_1069.HEIC

IMG_1653.HEIC

IMG_1764.HEIC

IMG_1847.HEIC

IMG_2168.HEIC

IMG_2550.HEIC

IMG_2570.HEIC

IMG_2629.HEIC

IMG_2736.HEIC

IMG_2937.HEIC

IMG_3628.HEIC

IMG_3684.HEIC

IMG_3907.HEIC

IMG_4237.HEIC

IMG_4837.HEIC

IMG_5045.HEIC

IMG_5360.HEIC

IMG_6194.HEIC

IMG_6679.HEIC

IMG_7508.HEIC

IMG_7658.HEIC

IMG_7801.HEIC

IMG_7833.HEIC

IMG_8606.HEIC

IMG_8680.HEIC

IMG_9750.HEIC

IMG_9876.HEIC

IMG_9905.HEIC

IMG_9977.HEIC

1 person likes this

Posted

What ever it looks like, sounds like you had fun!

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds cool, images don't download on my phone but I'd like to see them.

1 person likes this

Posted

For some reason Apple decided to change its photo format to this HEIC....let me see if I can convert a few

Posted

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_9905.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_6194.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

IMG_9876.jpg

IMG_4837.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_8606.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_9977.jpg

IMG_7833.jpg

IMG_7801.jpg

IMG_9750.jpg

5 people like this

Posted

Wow. Looks pretty  nice.  Somehow that plane .looks familiar. :)  Good to see the progress you are making on it..  Keep posting as you progress.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

To view all his great pictures, just add .jpg to the name of the file. This tells your computer to treat it as a JPG picture file.

I really like this post, brilenz, you lay out the whole process. Thanks!

Posted

Very cool man I would love to do that to mine with carbon.

Posted

Carbon for the next one for sure....just gotta figure out how!

Posted

Well- Its finished!  Here are the latest pics.  Everything is complete.  Now just need a DAR...AND need an instructor with a Kitfox III for a 1 hour insurance checkout.  Anybody have anyone in mind around Wisconsin??  

60972408057__00E6C20A-9FF3-4BE4-88B7-9EDFD9967784 2.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_2946 3.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

IMG_8363.JPG

IMG_9287.JPG

Posted

Thanks for posting the process, nice. And you now have wine corks for the next project as well!

How did the weight and, especially, balance come out?

Posted

Don't know if you have a DAR lined up already, but Todd Ellefson in Rochester is a DAR.  I don't think that's a long way east  from where you are.  (just looked, and it's 186 miles)  The plane sure does look nice.  I really like the panel/interior as well.  Plane looks a lot different from what it did when it first left Wisconsin.  Guess going home was good for it.  JImChuk

PS  I'll look for a CFI for you also, maybe someone else will know of one.  Larry is not real far north of you up in Merrell, maybe he has some contacts.

Photo0827.jpg

Photo0828.jpg

Posted

I always like the 'before' and 'after' pics. Looks great, you really did up the panel. Auto Pilot and Pitot Heat too, Wh00p Wh00p!:BC:

Posted

I have also modified my cowling for kf2 but it came out a bit heavy I think.

I would be interesting to know the weight of the original cowling peace’s in total.