Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Amateur video of me replacing the Spar Carry thru Tube

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm Not a real video maker but it was almost fun. And hope it helps someone.

11 people like this

Posted (edited)

Grade A work and video!!!  You've got a lot you can teach builders.  Thanks for the video.  Proves these airframes can be upgraded, modified, and changed to suit the builders needs.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice TJay, nice idea on the hole saw as well.  Wish I had your welding skills... JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Very Very nice!!! And i agree with Jim on the extended holesaw, have to ask y the reason for the change? Makin the tube thicker wall, does that up the gross weight? I also c u redid the bar over ur head for room, man i wish i would have done that when had the chance, least im only 5'5",145 but still b nice. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Very Very nice!!! And i agree with Jim on the extended holesaw, have to ask y the reason for the change? Makin the tube thicker wall, does that up the gross weight? I also c u redid the bar over ur head for room, man i wish i would have done that when had the chance, least im only 5'5",145 but still b nice. 

I am 6' and 140 so a little extra headroom would be nice, too.  Increasing the gross weight to 1050 would allow more wiggle room for different engines also. I considered removing the wing pin bushings and pressing another tube inside the original tube and reinserting the bushings. One could do that on the rear spar also.

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice TJay, nice idea on the hole saw as well.  Wish I had your welding skills... JImChuk

I wish I had Leni's welding skills.

1 person likes this

Posted

So ur telling me my Black KF#0021 since has the bushing pressed into the front tube is y its 950gross?

and my Blue KF 0038 doesnt have that bushing in the front tube is y its 850gross?

Posted

I don't know if you was talking to me or not. I am talking about pressing another  tube (.075 I think) the full length of the front and rear carry thru tubes. The short wing pin bushings would have to be remover first and reinserted thru both tubes. One could strengthen the carry thru's without completely removing the carry thru tube. Tjay's method is better but for those with less than perfect welding skills, this would accomplish the same and may be less involved. One would still have the original pin holes in the original carry thru for realignment of the bushings. I like TJay's method better, though, just more work. Really has nothing to do with gross weight, just strengthening a weak area as TJay stated.

Posted

So ur telling me my Black KF#0021 since has the bushing pressed into the front tube is y its 950gross?

and my Blue KF 0038 doesnt have that bushing in the front tube is y its 850gross?

I think the way the Kitfox 1s from the factories standpoint got 950 gross weight, was to use the Kitfox 2 wing spars that had the full length stiffener in the spar. I think that Kitfox started off suppling the standard .065" wall thickness spar tubes, and when they started buying the spars that had the built in stiffener, they sent those out instead of the plain tubes.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

When I first built this plane I hysoled in a full length tube 3/4 into the 7/8 original tube it worked good but this is what I always wanted to do and your right it is alot more work start to finish paint it was a full 8 hrs of work.

Posted

A full 8 hours for you, but the average builder without your skill set, probably a lot longer time involved. The Freebird shows your skill set! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Back together and everything fit absolutely perfect. I took some measurements from tail post to points of the wing and it is exactly the same as it was. Just letting you guys know if your up for the challenge.

0329201517_resized.jpg

0329201517a_resized.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Great job!  Where are you located TJay?

Posted

ksxk Airport.

Great job!  Where are you located TJay?

Ksxk Airport. Northwest Iowa.

Posted

What size pipe did you replace the original with?

Posted

What size pipe did you replace the original with?

I think it was 1 1/8 either .049 or .058 but im not sure. But I do know it was a little bigger than the classic 1200