Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel line

4 posts in this topic

Posted

What size fuel line does everybody run on there 582's. I always used 1/4" I.D but a couple of local operators want to argue about it. Mine on my Hirth are 5/16" from wing tanks to electric pump and then 1/4 on to the pulse pump and carbs.  My fuel flow test showed 21 gph gravity flow to just prior to the electric pump. FAA requires 150% of max engine consumption at full throttle. Most every one I've ever seen use 1/4" lines all the way without issue.

Posted

I always used 1/4" ID line on the 582 and Jabiru also.  I run gravity feed on the Jabiru except for takeoff, and have no problems with fuel flow on it.  JImChuk

Posted

My airplane with a 582 uses 1/4 lines throughout the fuel system.

Posted

I always used 1/4" ID line on the 582 and Jabiru also.  I run gravity feed on the Jabiru except for takeoff, and have no problems with fuel flow on it.  JImChuk

That is the standard size line for about all 2 strokes and smaller 4 stroke engines. I used 5/16 because I could get the heat resistant Barricade fuel hose in that size so I choose to use it up to where the fittings required  1/4" line. The FAA advised all those doing inspections to be aware of more powerful engine changes due to a lot of them not increasing the fuel lines to the required size.