Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Broken springs

24 posts in this topic

Posted

I was having fun till my T/W spring broke, I hope the heim joints don't break again, I couldn't tell if it came down on the rudder or not but is was very very close:huh:

This kinda thing must happen somewhat often, but since the spring is broke is there a better replacement option, such as aluminum or something? 

BTW aviation is such a great community, the airport my mishap happened at, the manager let me but the airplane in an empty hangar till I can get it fixed:BC:

20200211_123054.jpg

20200211_123046.jpg

20200211_124914.jpg

Posted

single or dual leaf?  Can you get a good shot of the end of the spring at the break?

Glad is did not end any worse!

Posted

Taller gear will help out with not smacking that tail wheel first all the time as well and will make you happier I think.

Posted

Its dual leaf spring, but it broke just after the top spring stops 

20200211_140408.jpg

20200211_123209.jpg

Posted

I hear the T-3 is pretty cool also the grove spring or kitfox has a 3 leaf too.

Posted

Is your top spring square across the end or rounded, its kind of tough to tell from the angle of your pics.  

Posted

The bend in it right at the front of the saddle looks like she has taken a beating.  How many hours are on that spring?  Sometimes when you beef up a sacrificial part, it makes you break other parts that are much more expensive and time consuming to replace.

Posted

Here's a pic before I installed the new tailwheel.

I would figure there's 500hrs on that spring, probably original if I had to guess. 

I did do a tail first full stall landing but it's the next landing that it broke on,  that was a 3 point. 

It looks like it's been cracked a while, just never noticed it cause its pinched on the top. 

My landings are not bad at all and I land on decent grass runways, nothin off airport yet, still practicing

20200211_191909.jpg

Posted (edited)

Since you changed tail wheel assy's, any possible issue with the new brackett extending less or more than the original bracket? 

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

The new T/W assy covers the same amount of spring, only thing is the new T/W is a couple pounds heavier:dunno:

Posted

I hate it when that happens!  You are not the first.

I broke my original on my MKIV and replaced it with a wider and thicker double spring. I never broke the spring but had the mounting bolt break on my Avid+ and dropped in on its rudder when I was just pushing it into a tiedown spot.  I finally put a T3 on mine, not cheap but it takes a lot of the beating off your whole tail assembly and is really nice to land with and taxi.

DSCN3195-1.jpg

DSCN3197-1.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

I love the T3 just wish they weren't so expensive or I would have one::)

I bout the 3 leaf one from Kitfox, hope it's good enough 

Posted (edited)

I think a shorter (helper?) spring should be cut straight across or rounded, but not pointed like in the above photo. That would cause a stress point in the main spring. 

spring_LI.jpg

Edited by Ronin
added photo

Posted

I used a dual spring from Wausau Springs, (715) 845-6335, at about $75. Nice guys, strong springs.

1 person likes this

Posted

On my bluefox #0038 I used a stock univar supercub 3 leaf spring, but i left one spring out, so just used two, so far seams to work great, got it for $50 at a hanger cleaning sale. And it was curved correct for the tailwheel axle to sit right, 

Posted

A few years ago, I bought a new Aeronca Chief spring, and the guy had a never used three leaf 1 1/2" wide experimental tailspring that he threw into the deal.  I think it came from aircraft spruce, for an Acro Sport if my memory is right.  When I needed a new spring for the Avid, I used 2 leaves from that spring, maybe rebent it a bit in my press.  I think they sold that spring for about 55 or 60, although when I just looked for it on their site, I didn't find it.  Works fine for me.  What I have found is if you want to make your own, you can find 1 3/4" wide springs pretty easy, seems that's the width used on light trailers often,  but the 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" width is harder to come up with. JImChuk

Posted

Thanks guys I appreciate the info!  Anyone heard of a fiberglass T/W spring? I was at a guys hanger today and he had one on his Murphy Rebel

Posted (edited)

20200222_105648.thumb.jpg.9ee07c911989f0Got the new springs on, Its definitely more stout than the old one, I like it alot. I didn't use the short 3rd spring that they came with. 

20200222_110355.thumb.jpg.d8da4eadb75647ain't nothin like good ol Duk-tape:)

Edited by FireFoxIV

Posted (edited)

I upgraded to a Grove spring I bought used.  It's for a model 7SS, but I was able to adapt it to fit.  Cheap, durable and indestructible.

IMG_3005.thumb.jpeg.b3d5977320c0c678470c

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Ya I might upgrade to something like that later. I'm sceptical about the metal springs now LOL

Posted

Thanks guys I appreciate the info!  Anyone heard of a fiberglass T/W spring? I was at a guys hanger today and he had one on his Murphy Rebel

A guy I know also had a fiber glass spring for his Murphy Rebel.  I did make one for my Avid B model once, but got a bit of a dry spot in it, and it broke fairly quickly.  Might have been ok if I had done a better job of making it.  I did have a fiber glass main gear for my Himax that was very nice.  It was built by someone who knew what he was doing, and I never had a problem with it.  Here is a link to his site.  His gear was for a 300 lb plane, so don't copy it exactly....   JImChuk

www.curedcomposites.com/gear.html

Posted

Thanks Jim that's kinda what I was thinkin. Might have to see if he'll make one for me

Posted

I tried to talk him into making a main landing gear for a Kitfox or Avid, but he wasn't interested.  He said he maybe would have if he had the plane.  Worth a shot though.  Maybe he will say how to do it yourself???  JImChuk

Posted

Hey Firefox, this fibreglass taiwheel spring was discussed in the thread below. I am really happy with my fibreglass spring. It's much lighter, does not rust (I fly in the water) and can handle my heavy tail when wings folded (240Lbs) plus is still springy enough when wings unfolded (102Lbs on the tail)