Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flew a Legend Cub today

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,  I was in need of a flight review, and as I'm down in Gulf Shores for a while yet, I made arrangements to get it done at Ferguson airfield in Pensacola, Fl.   They have a Legend cub with an 0-200 in it for power.  Performance is very good in that plane, even though we were right at gross weight of 1320.  Course a field elevation of 17 doesn't hurt any either.  Ferguson is tucked under Pensacola naval air station airspace, and you have to stay under 700' and very close to the field on both sides, so it made for some tight work with trying to keep pattern altitude at 500'.  Left 180 degree turn starting at 300', level off at 500', and almost immediately pulling back the power for the remainder of a short downwind.  Plus middle of the day thermals, and a fair amount of wind.  Glad it was right down the runway at least....Surprised I did as well as I did :lmao:.  Anyway, when it was all done, plane still flys, no dings or nicks.  I'm happy, and looking to getting back to my Avid on skis.  No 70 degree weather up there like it was today down here though.  JImChuk

PS    when I was about 8 years old, I had my first airplane rides, in what else but a Piper Cub.  To think that now 60 years later, I finally got to fly one myself as pic instead of passenger is kind of neat.  Granted, it's an updated version, but still......

api?req=map&type=sectc&lat=30.398276&lon

Legend Cub-Pensecola 2.jpg

Legend Cub-Pensecola 3.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
6 people like this

Posted

Took my original TW endorsement in a J-3, same color.

Posted

any cub is a fun cub to fly!

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Notice the placard. 'Cub must be tied down after every flight'. Does make one wonder... 

Posted

Without a doubt the most fun I've ever had flying was in this

jack_brown_seaplane_small_20131210.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

The guy I flew with when I was about 8 yrs old, also put his cub on floats, and I flew once with him in it like that.  I did run across a video of the Cub  I was in flying around Pensacola/Gulf Shores area.  Sure is pretty.  Wish I had a go pro with me, I never even thought to snap a pic or two with my phone camera.  Should have at least handed it back to the cfi on the way back for a couple of shots.  I see in the video, the tie down placard is not there.  Probably a story some where in all of that.   JImChuk

Posted

Probably the reason these types are so much fun to fly is that you have to fly them. No getting to altitude, setting the trim and then relaxing with a cup, following the magenta line. Can get boring after a while. Maybe why many quit after flying for a time. Nothing boring about flying a Cub!  You don't have time. Same with a "Classic" Avid/Fox.

1 person likes this