Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rudder/Elevator

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody know offhand what diameter and wall thickness the rear rudder and elevator tubing is?  Looks like 3/8" and probably .035 wall. Hard to get exact with fabric installed. Going to build a little bigger rudder and elevator for the model 2 instead of just adding on to the existing one. Which would be easier but I never do things the easy way. I'd rudder make a new one!

Posted

you would be correct on both here is a broke Model 4 one.

0127202015_resized.jpg

0127202014_resized.jpg

Posted

Thanks!  That's what I thought but wasn't 100%.

Posted

I believe that the 2 uses smaller diameter tubing than the 4.  I made the mistake of not going to a larger tubing when I added 12" to my rudder/vertical stab.  It now flexes more than I'm happy with so I will be adding braces to the vertical stab to prevent flutter, which will add drag.

Posted

My Model 1 is 1/2” on the front vertical of the rudder and 3/8” on the rest. Same with elevator. 1/2” and 3/8”.

Posted

I believe that the 2 uses smaller diameter tubing than the 4.  I made the mistake of not going to a larger tubing when I added 12" to my rudder/vertical stab.  It now flexes more than I'm happy with so I will be adding braces to the vertical stab to prevent flutter, which will add drag.

This is correct, the vertical tail post on my II was 5/8 .035 as well as the rudders leading edge tube, the  model IV uses 3/4 dia at both locations, not sure on wall thicknesses.  I replaced the vertical tail post on my II with 3/4 .049, I left a short stub from the 5/8 tail post for the 3/4 .049 to slip over, the .049 gave a better fit and a bit of tail weight won’t hurt my build.

FB072A35-71EE-441E-A390-6D20D00D0198.jpeg

1 person likes this