Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rudder issue

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Thread: Rudder issue

1. 01-23-2020, 03:59 PM#1

Default Rudder issue

Yesterday’s fight was perfect. Today, I felt the plane not feeling right. Looked down at rudder pedals and the left was 2-3 inches ahead of the right. On the ground, I centered the pedals and the rudder was displaced to the right. 

checked cables, all attached and were in the only pulley on each side, attached at the rudder

checked pedals, none bent or cracked and gussets were there and no cracks. Springs were attached and were the same length when pedals centered.

if I clamp the pedals so to be parallel and push the rudder to center the right cable is taunt and the left very loose. How did this happen. 

Another condition on the same flight, had to apply forward pressure on stick to keep it from climbing. Before with electric trim I could fly hands off. 

what is going on with this plane?....

Mark

Posted (edited)

Everything looks ok in the fuselage in the tail section?  There was a post several days ago about the failure of the rudder hinges on another 4.  Is there any other folks flying Avids or KF in your area that can help you look at the plane?  Perhaps the cable slipped in a Nicropress sleeve if the loop was big or the end left long? The fact that it wanted to climb also is disturbing.

How about the return springs everything look ok there?

Edited by wypaul

Posted (edited)

Hey Mark,

I highly recommend you not to fly until you find the issue(s). We need more info to help figure out what could be going on. Have you checked that the bottom of your seat is not interfering with your elevator control tube. Also your rudder cables pass through guides along the structure, did you check if they're ok going from your pedals to the rudder horns?

Is your electric trim actually working/moving? indicator correct?

Just a few things you might look at...

Edited by flywise

Posted

how many hours do you have flying this thing solo?

Posted

First thing I would check is the cable swedges on the left cable, then the pedal again. Make sure they are fastened to the floor well. It maybe two separate items that happened at the same time or maybe one thing that caused them both. Was your landing okay yesterday? Check the bolt on the horizontal stabilizer. I am with the others, do not fly until you figure it out. 
Let us know what you find too, it might help someone else that has this issue come up. 

Posted

I was doing take offs and landings once on skis, in slushy crytalized snow, and the snow flying back started to peal off the rear finish tape on the elevator, or rudder (don't remember which right now), and I had to keep using more and more trim to fly level.  Didn't know why till I got it home and found the half pealed off finish tape.  Something else to look at.  As far as the rudder goes, it's pretty simple on a model 4, nothing like adjustable pedals like are on later Kitfoxes, so like the others said, slipped cable clamp or something else that should become obvious after a careful inspection.  There are guide pulleys on the rudder cables on the Kitfox  4 about 1/3 of the way back from the seat.  Look them over good also.  If the pully busted away, it may give you a bunch of slack on that side.  JImChuk