Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

U.S. Military jamming east coast GPS?

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ran across this article and now I am curious if it is true. If you are in the zone, please check the GPS dependent apps on your phone and report back. Thanks!

Click LINK --> then select Reader View to ditch the ads.

Edited by dholly

Posted

They do this in that spot 2 or 3 times a year.  I'm in the 50 ft ring, and I've never noticed a problem, on the ground or in the air.

Posted

Thom Richard in Florida was flying his P40 the other day in the ring and lost all GPS signal. He caught flak because he didn’t know about it beforehand. He is well known in the warbird arena for his flight school and aReno racing. Funny thing is they do this almost constantly out west but it never garners any attention out there. 

Posted

Dang, I won't even be able to get to the grocery store!  OPPS!  I forgot, I was taught to use a map, compass and a watch. How in the world did we ever get anywhere?

1 person likes this

Posted

Me too, in Texas, where like Florida, everything looks exactly the same at 2,000ft AGL and above.  But that was 30 years ago, and I've become an addict of the mauve line....

Posted

To each his own. I still use my E-6B whiz wheel.

Posted

So take a moment to consider the Faa is quietly shutting down the ILS approaches across the country.  So what happens when there is no ground based approaches and they are fiddling with the GPS, you have now lost the alternates so you can't fly.  What you say why do us puddle hoppers need to worry about not being able to fly IFR, hell lm not even rated.  But I bet you like the thought of getting a life flight to come get you if it is IFR, how about those aircraft parts  from ACS, Wicks, Kitfox or Amazon.com.  You might still have time to campaign in your area to save your ILS, we did here but the fight is not over I'm sure, just postponed.  Those of you that fly IFR should think about the implications of how this will affect your livelihood.  

OK, I'm done.

Posted

Somehow I think most heavy pilots and cargo pilots can still shoot a good old fashioned approach. Sometimes the old outdated stuff can save your butt. Just like a compass, watch,map and a metal E-6B and looking out the window.

Posted

So take a moment to consider the Faa is quietly shutting down the ILS approaches across the country.  So what happens when there is no ground based approaches and they are fiddling with the GPS, you have now lost the alternates so you can't fly.  What you say why do us puddle hoppers need to worry about not being able to fly IFR, hell lm not even rated.  But I bet you like the thought of getting a life flight to come get you if it is IFR, how about those aircraft parts  from ACS, Wicks, Kitfox or Amazon.com.  You might still have time to campaign in your area to save your ILS, we did here but the fight is not over I'm sure, just postponed.  Those of you that fly IFR should think about the implications of how this will affect your livelihood.  

OK, I'm done.

I hear all the chatter about the FAA shutting down VORs and read their letters to the contrary on most of them. But I have never heard of them shutting down ILS systems. It would not surprise me though. I fly for a living and use a lot of ILS approaches still. Typically they have lower minimums than RNAV/VNAV stuff. I have to wonder, if they are being shut down is it the FAA or the local airport not wanting ro maintain equipment anymore? 

Posted

Neither ILS nor VOR's are going away.  There will be fewer VOR's, but the FAA has established a minimum set that will be maintained indefinitely that will enable navigation across the US if GPS is out of service or degraded.

There won't be any new ILS approaches, they are too expensive to install and maintain compared with an LPV approach.  I also wouldn't be surprised if some smaller airports with limited commercial traffic get decommissioned when they become too expensive to maintain.  But the major airports will continue to have them for the same reason.

ADF's however, have definitely joined the Dodo bird in history.  A few are still out there, but when they need major maintenance they are decommissioned.  I liked ADF approaches, but time and technology marches on.

Mark

Posted

All the hand ringing about VOR's is irrelevant anyway - any event that takes GPS out of service will likely close all the US airspace to anything except military, police, and air ambulance flights, just like it did after 9/11.

Posted

All the hand ringing about VOR's is irrelevant anyway - any event that takes GPS out of service will likely close all the US airspace to anything except military, police, and air ambulance flights, just like it did after 9/11.

Except when our own government sees fit to test if they can jam our GPS signsl as in the case of the Notam, I think you are right. However we that are flying will have to get down somehow! 

Posted

There is always PAR and ASR approaches. Fun to practice too if the facility isn't too busy.

1 person likes this

Posted

There is always PAR and ASR approaches. Fun to practice too if the facility isn't too busy.

How long ago was it that you asked a controller for a PAR approach? I bet a lot of controllers have no ides what that is if they were not prior military. 

Posted

Admittedly it has been a several years. Last time was an ASR approach at Willard Field in Champaign, IL.