Fairing/pod for cabane MK IV

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

HERE IS A rough model of one of my belly pod ideas.  I will make a model about this size and fly with tufts to see what I can discern from it.  Comments are welcome.  One concern is that it may create a negative lift on the underside of the plane.  Experimental, you bet.  Hey Turbo if you are still lurking I would love to hear your thoughts and while you are at it can you talk about your last two posts about the Avid wing in layman' s term and the implications.

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

Edited by wypaul
Foam model ready for tufts and then off to my Toyota wind tunnel.

Posted

I fly with a factory kitfox belly pod that is modified for clearance around the cabane gear. There is no noticeable difference in flight charactoristics with or without it other than an earlier softening of the elevator effectiveness in the flare(vg's cured this). Radiator position is an issue as I moved mine forward to get out of the dead air in front of the pod. The cabane gear is a bit more draggy than the std gear as there was a difference with or without the pod on this setup. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The wind tunnel test was as expected with good attached air.  Decided to go ahead and see what result would be just fair the tubes which was completed and flown yesterday.  This was the first fairing job that showed little to no results.  I will fly them faired a few more time before giving up on them.  The air under the belly aft of the cooling exit must just be to dirty to really see much benefit from the fairing work.  The pod may still help but it is a lot of work so the idea is shelved for the moment.  Next thought.  I am considering Hoerner style wing tips.  A lot of good clams for the mod on Pipers and other planes, speed increase of 3-5 KTS, slower stall and more lift shorter takeoff roll.