A few more calculations

3 posts in this topic

Posted

It's hosing down rain, so I thought I'd add a little to the discussion.  I computed the spanwise lift distribution and some sectional Cp distributions at various span stations.  The case is cruise at 3000 ft, 85 mph, at full gross weight of 911 lbf.  Here's a computed spanwise sectional CL distribution of the Avid C STOL wing, and some Cp distributions at some of the outboard span stations.  Note that the wing CL is only 0.4 at this flight condition.  Note how the lower-surface leading-edge -Cp spike grows going outboard.  We are saved past 90% span by the wingtip, whose shape quickly morphs to something very different from that of the basic airfoil.  One can only wonder how high the sectional Cd values get approaching 90%, on the basic wing.  Without airfoil sectional data: Cd vs. CL, etc.  we can only guess.

.Spanwise_CL_distr.thumb.JPG.0ac58679a9afCruise_Cp_distrs.thumb.JPG.51c879a5dc7ce

Posted

Forgive my ignorance, but would you please explain this for me. I’m not familiar with the terminology or the significance of much of it, but I would like very much to understand it. 

Posted

Forgive my ignorance, but would you please explain this for me. I’m not familiar with the terminology or the significance of much of it, but I would like very much to understand it. 

Take a look at my first post in the thread "Avid C STOL - Some Calculations".  That should clarify things.  I would have added this post to that thread, but couldn't insert the two plots.  It seems the site's software got buggered so one can only add a pic or plot if you're starting a new thread.