Reinfocrements required in Switzerland

4 posts in this topic

Posted

after reading some of the information on the board here regarding the differences between the Mk IV and my Model C i realized, that some of these modifications where done to my aircraft by the previous builder already. Digging deeper into it, i found out, that in Switzerland every Avid Model C (and probably all the other Models as well) kit needed to be reinforced in order to keep the officials at our Federal Office of Civil Aviation happy.

Over here, the first build of a new design has to undergo some additional paperwork and checks. The entire design is checked by officials who are engineers and re-calculate the structure etc. to double check that the final product will comply with national regulations and safety standards.

From what i've heard, this process happens in a tight dialogue with the manufacturer of the kit (if the manufacturer is available for that) and results are probably also fed back to the original designer to maybe help improve the design.

so here are the documents i got together with my avid which detail the reinforcements which are required over here on every avid flyer.

they're all done on mine, but i think it would be interesting to hear from an avid MK iV owner, which of these points have made it into the Mk IV and which did not.. also i wonder if owners of avids without those mods have actually seen the necessity for such a mod or experienced deformation or whatever issues that would confirm these mods are actually worth while ..

cheers

Pascal

avid model c reinforcements foca.pdf

1 person likes this

Posted

Lots an lots of planes flying in the USA and none of the mods have been needed that I am aware of.  I find it odd that the majority of the issues with these birds are in the seat truss area and its well known here that they need to be beefed up, yet its not required across the pond.  

Most of those mods look to me like they are to justify someone's job at the CA and not really needed.

Posted

Yeah some of those are a total waste.

Posted

It's crazy how there are so many different requirements from different countries to get to the same results! Sweden where I live  is one of these and often the Swedish authority just accept the modifications developed by other "respected" European countries. The UK did the same job but those mods are not as near as extensive as the Switzerland's mods. Still the UK mods are "UK certified" for the same gross weight. So if I as a Swede would want to get higher gross weight approved I would choose the UK mods to copy. 

There are as many different "load calculations" as there are aeronautical engineers !