Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Overhauls

17 posts in this topic

Posted

As a curious thought, when those of you that have had your 2 stroke overhauled or did it yourself, what did you replace with new? Did you replace the electrical componets, i.e. coils, stator, wiring, etc.?  Or since they were working fine, seen no need to replace them and reinstalled the originals. How many replaced everything but the case and jugs?  Of course my opinion, which isn't worth a whole lot, is to sell the run-out engine, replace it with a new engine and carry on.  Not a bad idea if you fly over hostile country.

Posted

Did it myself a few times.  New crank and pistons / rings. Rebuild RV shaft.  new seals.  It is not that tough and not that expensive.  Mike everything and if tolerances are still good put it back together.  300 hr TBO is ultra conservative.  Of course, it also helps to know how the engine has been run during those hours and if it was ever overheated etc.  

Posted

The 300 hr TBO is Rotax's way of covering their backside. And probably some do need an overhaul at 300 hours. Proper operation is the big key! I've seen a few still running good at 600 hrs but by then one is pushing the limit.

Posted

These are good questions. With the Kitfox I am picking up it only has 140 hours since new, but that was in 1993. Should I reseal it? If so what seals/gaskets do I need and how hard is that? I haven’t seen a Rotax teardown so this is a bit new to me. The plane has always been garaged in Florida so not a lot of temperature changes. Luckily also away from the coast. 

Posted

Rotax says 5 years between seal changes.  That might be very conservative as well, but if that schedule had been followed on your engine, it would have had 5 sets of seals by now.  :-)  I've had a local shop do my 2 stroke engines, and have had no real problems with the more then 10 engines they have done  for me.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

These are good questions. With the Kitfox I am picking up it only has 140 hours since new, but that was in 1993. Should I reseal it? If so what seals/gaskets do I need and how hard is that? I haven’t seen a Rotax teardown so this is a bit new to me. The plane has always been garaged in Florida so not a lot of temperature changes. Luckily also away from the coast. 

With an inactive engine from (very humid) Florida I would be very concerned about internal corrosion of the steel parts.  Unless it was well pickled, the crank assembly is most likely not serviceable any more.

1 person likes this

Posted

reseal is easy.  Like Larry said, I would really look over those bearings on the bottom end.  New seals and bearings on the piston wrist pins.  Get the bearing retainers, they are cheap.  Yes you can use a socket but at the price of the retainer, its kind of dumb to not pick up a couple of them when your getting ready for the tear down (if your doing it yourself).  The rotax manual is posted on this site and the DVD deep inside your rotax is a good one for those who are doing the first engine tear down.

I have done several using the winderosa gasket sets without any issues.  Bob has done several engines as well using them.  Rotax anything is stupidly over priced.

No need to replace electronic parts unless there is obvious damage to them.  

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

The engine hasn’t been inactive and has just not been flown a lot per year. Since I am not getting logbooks with the plane it is anyones guess if the seals were done. Previous owner passed away and the widow believes she three away all logbooks and extra parts cleaning the house so the family can sell it. Sad situation. 
I plan to do the work myself as much as possible. Are there any special tools I need to have for the teardown? I have hear about needing some but am not sure what I may need. 
Anyone with a good parts supplier information? I have also heard that some aftermarket parts are better than Rotax but don’t know which ones those might be.  
Time to dig into the manual here and see what I am getting myself into. 
This purchase is so that I can build the Apex engine but I want to fly it with the 582 first so I have some comparison when I re-engine it. 

Posted

there will be zero comparison between those two engines!  I can't really think of any tools needed other than the normal tools one has around the shop.  Maybe the gear puller for the end of the crank on the PTO end.  I use a harmonic balancer puller to pop the mag off.  

Pretty sure Bob has rebuilt a few using the seadoo pistons that rotax rick uses.  There are those in the group that say if you use anything other than genuine rotax then you must be soft in the head.. I am not one of those people.  Rarely do I use anything from the OEM on anything I own.  

Hit up AKflyerbob on here.  I am pretty sure he will have the part numbers and suppliers for you on the parts that he uses.  Yes, I will fly behind said parts with my kids in the plane.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Rotax is putting us common flyers that are on a budget out of the market. We are starting to come up with alternatives that put them out of our game.

3 people like this

Posted

And when you think of it, most kit manufactures are putting us common folks out. Have you noticed that there are no classic Avid/Foxes on barnstormers lately. Of course most of them are in Jim Chuk or Buckchop's garage. LOL!!   For safe keeping, I am sure.

Posted

For safe keeping, I am sure.

Can't speak for Buckchop, but that has been my plan all along!  :lmao: JImChuk

Posted

Rotax is putting us common flyers that are on a budget out of the market. We are starting to come up with alternatives that put them out of our game.

Rotax Rick is pretty reasonable, and his quality is great. He charges $1850 to $2200 for an overhaul of a 582

Posted (edited)

ME??? Hahahahaaaa Jim is ahead of me, but damm im trying to catchup guys i promise!!!! 

Ive been useing the Winderosa gaskets on polaris liberty motors for yrs, with great results. 

Rotax Rick gets like $3500? To build u a 670 useing ur parts he needs from ur 582, Right? 

I had my "AIRBOAT" motor redone here at a skidoo performance shop was in good shape inside so didnt need much, was just under $400

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm late to this party, and new to the experimental game... Buckchop are you saying any rotax shop (non-aviation shop) would/could overhaul the engine for flight??

Posted (edited)

Buchchop must still be working on the bus, so I'll put in my 2 cents worth.  Legally speaking, anyone could overhaul the engine on an experimental aircraft.  Probably though, you would feel safer if you knew the mechanic was qualified.  A good snowmobile mechanic should be able to overhaul the 582 just fine.  I've had a local shop do about a dozen engines for me over the years with no problems.  I've always removed the gear box before I took the engine to them though.  It's not something they are used to.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Yep im workin on the bus Jim, Hahahaaa,  yes any snowmachine shop could rebuild it, long as u trust thier work, u not able to just pull over the fog line and stop to check what that noise was. Hahahahaaaaa. But most will not want to do the work on an aircraft motor, thier is a few differences between sled or plane motor. And the liability of workin on an airplane motor scares most people away. 

1 person likes this