AVID AIRCRAFT STATUS

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Avid Flyers,

There has been a lot of talk (and rumors floating) around as to the status of Avid Aircraft and I wanted to clear the air on my end of things so that people weren’t left guessing.

In 2017 when I became interested in purchasing Avid Aircraft, I was very skeptical about the company’s state after looking through company assets and worried that much of the documentation and build fixtures were missing or in need of major repairs. Without going into too much detail, I went ahead and bought the company on a conditional 2-year contract. I spent months working late into the night after working days at my full-time job, but it seemed like there was a hiccup around every corner. Missing weld fixtures, no fiberglass molds to any of the four aircraft models, outdated or incomplete supplier and manufacturing information – the list goes on and on. I started to gain traction on parts orders in the summer of 2018, the same time my wife and I welcomed our first child. Unfortunately, there were major complications with my son’s birth that forced me to put Avid on hold completely. My wife and I have had to adjust our entire life due to the situation and it left me with virtually no time for Avid. It has been a long, hard road but I have come to the realization that although I have the know-how and drive to take over this company, family comes first and Avid simply cannot provide for myself or my family at this time.

In light of my situation, I have decided to part ways with the company, and the business will return to the previous owner, Jim Tomash. Any outstanding parts orders will be fulfilled by myself as promised and I will continue selling some of the major parts including cowlings and engine mounts to keep Avid owners flying.

As a side note, ALL fiberglass molds for the Mark IV, Magnum, and Ultralight Champion were missing when I bought the company. I located the ORIGINALS and purchased them outright – separate from the purchase of Avid - and restored them to mint condition. Even though I will no longer own or manage the company, I will personally continue supplying fiberglass parts for the Magnum, Mark IV and Champion to anyone in need that contacts me.

I appreciate all the support as I took this project on and apologize to anyone that has been trying to get parts or questions answered that I have been unable to reply to. I will continue to leave the website up and will be monitoring email as I have time. If you have further questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to reach out.

Blue Skies and Tailwinds,

Mark Mendick

3 people like this

Posted

Hey Mark

A big THANK YOU for all you have done to date and for the update on "Avid Aircraft". 

The transport wing supports I purchased about 18 months ago for my Airdale kit are GREAT. 

Unfortunately, the Airdale kit still sits in my garage ... unassembled.

GOOD to know there will still be some steel and fiberglass replacement parts available for the Mark lV and Magnum.

Best of luck.

Brian Berezowski

Thunder Bay Ontario  Canada

Yellow Tricycle Avid Magnum s/n 04M

Posted

Thanks for the update Mark. Sorry to hear of all the complications every which direction that you've been facing, hope all goes well for you going forward.

Look for and enjoy the little blessings along the way.

Posted

Mark, do you happen to know if Jim has plans to do anything with the company or put it up for sale again? 

1 person likes this