Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pulse pump

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Just received a new dual pulse pump from LEAF and it was square instead of round. It had the dual output ports like the round but was square like the single pump. Either a new style or a bad screw up. It seem to work OK but was curious if anybody else ran into this?

Posted

Got a picture?  JImChuk

Posted

Got a picture?  JImChuk

I'll get one and post it later on. For years the round pump was the dual carb pump and it caught me off guard when I seen the square pump with dual outlets. After closer inspection I could not find the weep hole in the square housing. All of my shelf stock round pumps had the weep hole which isn't a big issue if they are mounted correctly.

Posted

Here is a photo.

pulse pump 002.JPG

Posted

That looks like the same pump I got. Genuine Mikuni. Seems to work fine. 

Posted (edited)

Could be the new style of pump. Not as thick as round pump so less capacity inside for volume given the same number of engine pulses. Probably will work just fine. Mikuni wouldn't put out a new dual pump with less flow. Could even be more flow I suppose. I know the round pumps work fine on bigger engines than 582's. Something new anymore raises an eyebrow to me. Think I'll rebuild my 2 round pumps while I can get the rebuild kits.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

Both the square pump and round pump and several others have been made for many many years. I've had both over the years on snowmobiles. I have the square one on a 2001 Arctic Cat in my barn right now. The square one is 31 liters per hour and the round one is 35 liters per hour. Both are genuine mikuni.

Posted

If you have the ram air tubes on your fuel caps, the engine should be able to operate with a fuel pump failure providing that the fuel pump doesn't block the flow when it's not working.  I fly my  Jabiru powered Avid with gravity feed except when I'm taking off, and then I use an electric pump.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds like they are carrying one type of dual pump now. Makes sense from a production point of view. Unless LEAF just got a bunch of the square ones. With out a pulse pump one could get into a situation where there wasn't enough fuel pressure. An electric back-up would solve the problem.

Posted

Maybe look at outboard boat motor pumps? For a pulse pump?

Posted

I've got a couple of the round pumps on the shelf and ordered a couple rebuild kits so I should be good for a few years anyway. Plus I've got a new square one. By then I'll be ready to move up or onward.

Posted

This is perhaps a silly question, but with gravity feed, why do we even need one?

Posted

Cause it really isn't gravity feed, not enough head pressure for all phases of flight.

Posted

And most add an electric backup, also.  Fuel issues are the No.1 cause of two stroke engine outs. In reality, two strokes don't fail, they are murdered by their operators.

Posted

I am in need of a new pump for my 582, does anyone know anything about the Mikuni 14-2223 dual round pump? the pump has a flow rate of 35 LPH. it is a bit smaller then my existing pump.Or should I order up the Mikuni 14-2224, the  new square one? where is a good place to order these pumps up from?

thanks. 

Pic in order.

Original pump

new 14-2223 pump

PS i am going to mount the new pump horizontal. 

old.PNG

it.PNG