Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Avid C Owner, Phoenix, AZ

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey everyone. Last fall I bought 997P.

The plane is in remarkable shape but the left side flaperon and hangers are destroyed, along with the trailing edge. The seller suggested it's gonna need the grey head 582 overhauled. I didn't put the prop on till I got it home. It turns through one compression stroke then hits a hard stop. At first I thought it was "blowed up", thrown rod, etc. But upon thinking on it overnight, it occurred to me the inverted cylinders could be hydro-locked. Going back out the to plane and putting one fingertip on the prop and applying light pressure, sure enough it went through TDC as the juice leaked past the rings. NO, I haven't pulled the plugs yet. Is it common for these to hydro lock? It's been sitting for years.  If I do have to do an engine, I'll probably send the 582 to Rotax Rick and eventually engineer a 4 stroke solution of some kind. I should'a bought the HKS700T (80HP Turbocharged) on B.S. Interestingly enough, it was listed for almost two months. I showed the ad to a couple ppl at our EAA chapter meeting to get opinions and the next day the ad was gone.. Hmmm The Phazer adaptation looks interesting. I don't think I want the weight or horsepower of the RX1

BTW, here's a three part story that will definitely get your attention about the 582. I'm impressed to the pilot's reaction to an engine out.... Pull as hard as you can, that'll fix it. NOT. I learned that years ago with models.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VL5vJDr-hk

I've been watching the flaperon hanger fix threads and the engine out fuel starvation threads I don't want to witness either of these scenarios first hand.

I've loved airplanes for as long as I can remember and have dreamed of flying my own. Looks like my chance is here. Unfortunately, I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time at my job instead of home here working on stuff.

I have a 28 Ft. body off a box truck to store the plane and trailer in here at home. (you have to cut the door pillars that protect the roll-up door) When it's all said and done, I plan to trailer it the 15 miles to the airport, P48, set up and go flying. If you know any other Avid or KF pilots in my area, lemmeknow.

I am a student pilot with 20+ hours dual and about 5-ish solo, including a cross country in a 1946 Aeronca Champ with a C85.

I just posted in the carb heat box failure thread so I thought I should introduce myself  From the looks of it, I'm gonna fit right in here.

Live Long And Prosper

keith

Posted

The add is to old to see any pictures of it there, so you will have to post some pictures for us to drool over. :-)  I've repaired rib tails in the past, and made pieces for other repairs.  Maybe these links will be of help to you.  Welcome to the group..  JImChuk

avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/6466-new-avid-flyer-ontario-canada/#comment-58668
avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/3373-broken-rib-tail-repair/

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the group Keith. Without looking it up I think that P48 is Pleasant Lake, is that correct? I lived out there for a while but it had been a few years ago. In fact if I am correct on the identifier for the airport, I flew the little plane in my avatar up there once. Landed on the middle runway, chose the wrong one, it was really rough! Everyone told me afterwards I should have landed on the south one.  
Lots of information here. The search function is your friend.  

Edited by lostman

Posted (edited)

Jim, I'll try to post some pictures I have ones in a PDF  the seller sent me and some more recent ones. I haven't posted pictures on a forum in a long time. In the past, we had to link to a storage site like PhotoBucket but IIRC, there's some issues with it now. keep in mind most of the pictures show the plane before the flaperon damage occurred.

Kenneth, Yes, P48 is Pleasant Valley Airport located 3.4 SM SSE of Lake Pleasant dam. There is a paved runway on the south side. 5R/23L although it looks more like a model field than an actual runway. Googily maps has a pretty good aerial view. At my age, 61 at the time, it seemed to take me forever to get the rudder dance working. My instructor assured me that older guys take a LOT longer to pick it up than the youngsters. There were many a day where I went home with my tail between my legs. Then one day, poof, I was taking off straight down the runway. Don't exactly know what happened, but I'll take it! I'm told the Avid C is even more twitchy than the Champ so I'm gonna be extra careful and get some more quality time with my instructor.

I'll try to post more pictures later.

keith

Avid N997P Pictures.pdf

Edited by Avidventurous
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

When you go to reply to a message, you will see at the bottom of the box, a choose files link.  If you click on that, you can find the picture in your computer you want to post.  Also, I think you will find the Avid to be more twitchy then the Champ.  If you can find a grass strip, that is the best place to start to get used to it.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

.... Grass in Arizona... Ummm OK. Actually I'll have to settle for the gravel that Kenneth was mentioning. Thanks for tip on posting. Back in the ol' days, the forum databases didn't want to host the pictures because of their file size. Nowadays, storage space is cheeeep so we can attach pictures. Cool.

1 person likes this

Posted

Avidventurous,

If you want a bit more power than the 582, talk to Rotax Rick about swapping your 582 core for a 670. I did and it is great! The install is a pure drop in for the 582, as well.

Posted

.... Grass in Arizona... Ummm OK. Actually I'll have to settle for the gravel that Kenneth was mentioning. Thanks for tip on posting. Back in the ol' days, the forum databases didn't want to host the pictures because of their file size. Nowadays, storage space is cheeeep so we can attach pictures. Cool.

Gravel should be fine as well. Anything more slippery then pavement is a good thing, especially if you touch down a bit sideways when landing.  JImChuk

Posted

Yes, I agree it is more adventurous flying an Avid than a Champ. Keeps your feet moving even more in the air too. 
I know that feeling well when training for my tailwheel, would wonder what I was doing wrong then it all just came together and poof, everything was fine. I have done that learning new aircraft before as well. The RV6 was the same way, just a different sight picture. Having trained a lot of other pilots I would see them go through that stage as well. Actually on almost every new component of flying that happens on some level. I think the worst for me was training in a Waco UPF-7. I felt like I was never going to get the landings, then it clicked right at 3.5 hours. Never had a problem again after that.