Jabiru 2200 Luga/NR prop

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Thought I would share this with you guys I have tested and tested and have found the sweet spot that works for my type flying.  All my numbers are from my notes during testing.

I have an early Kitfox with 12 foot spars and 13inch horner wing tips.

Jabiru 2200 and a Luga/NR prop 68inch

My flying weight averages 850 to 900lbs

I wish I could compare my numbers with another short wing kitfox running a 80hp stock Rotax but that would be hard to find.

First setting

static rpm 2850,

climb rpm 2600=450fpm

cruise rpm 2650=85mph 6gph

Wot rpm 2875=105

Performance poor long take off run and very difficult to slow it down to land.

Second setting

Static RPM 3350

Climb rpm=3250=1250fpm

Cruise rpm=3000=72mph 3.9gph

Wot rpm 3700=80mph

Good climb short take off poor cruise but very easy to slow it up for short landing.

Third setting

Static rpm 3200

Climb rpm=3150=950fpm

Cruise rpm=3000=85mph 4.4gpm

Wot rpm 3350=95mph

Good climb good cruise, takeoff role is 150 feet and short landing are easy and I love it.

Not gonna say its better than anybody else's airplane but it works for me.

0510191402a.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

IMG_0870.thumb.JPG.132debd0a9a00d0481b87IMG_0870.thumb.JPG.132debd0a9a00d0481b87 Could you tell me the supplier of the bush gear spring, It appears your spring will give me more travel then mine. Thanks merry ChristmasIMG_0870.thumb.JPG.132debd0a9a00d0481b87D

Posted (edited)

Tjay, What model is ur Fox?

Edited by FireFoxIV

Posted

Highly modified model 1

Posted (edited)

Skidoo part number 503190854 is the spring, but ull have to make a few spacers and make ur slot in struts 2" longer.  When i changed mine a few weeks ago i went from 5" up of axel travel to 7.5". 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

Thought I would share this with you guys I have tested and tested and have found the sweet spot that works for my type flying.  All my numbers are from my notes during testing.

I have an early Kitfox with 12 foot spars and 13inch horner wing tips.

Jabiru 2200 and a Luga/NR prop 68inch

My flying weight averages 850 to 900lbs

I wish I could compare my numbers with another short wing kitfox running a 80hp stock Rotax but that would be hard to find.

First setting

static rpm 2850,

climb rpm 2600=450fpm

cruise rpm 2650=85mph 6gph

Wot rpm 2875=105

Performance poor long take off run and very difficult to slow it down to land.

Second setting

Static RPM 3350

Climb rpm=3250=1250fpm

Cruise rpm=3000=72mph 3.9gph

Wot rpm 3700=80mph

Good climb short take off poor cruise but very easy to slow it up for short landing.

Third setting

Static rpm 3200

Climb rpm=3150=950fpm

Cruise rpm=3000=85mph 4.4gpm

Wot rpm 3350=95mph

Good climb good cruise, takeoff role is 150 feet and short landing are easy and I love it.

Not gonna say its better than anybody else's airplane but it works for me.

0510191402a.jpg

One thing for sure is that you are the only one that matters. If you like it, doesn't matter about anybody else. Sure is a good looking Fox that anyone would be proud to own. You taking a model 1 and making it into what it is, well that's priceless. Shows what can be done with a little sweat and ability. And throw in a cupful of skill!

1 person likes this

Posted

Well maybe my Warp drive isn't so bad.  My static rpm was about 2950, I'd climb out at about 3050 rpm, and at about 60 MPH, I'd be climbing about 800-900 fpm.  At 2800 rpm cruise, I'm doing 87 MPH.  My usual weight is about the same as yours, 850-900 lbs.  Fuel burn ends up being 4 gph or a little bit more.  Never have held it full throttle since the last rebuild, but I'm sure it would go over 100MPH, but not by a lot.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Skidoo part number 503190854 is the spring, but ull have to make a few spacers and make ur slot in struts 2" longer.  When i changed mine a few weeks ago i went from 5" up of axel travel to 7.5". 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Buckchop, did you make that gear? If so do you have dimensions for it? How do you like it overall? 

Posted

Nope i didnt make it, was made by a guy in Tn, took backin plate out to 67"  and extended it 4" up at firewall. So far have only taxied around a little, weather got down to -33 so no fun stuff outside, hope to do more when warms up. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Can’t wait to see your report on them once you can fly. Looks like it might be a bit before you get to that point though with weather like that. 

Posted

Yea suppose to stick around for a week or better :(

Posted

Did Randy build those?

Posted (edited)

Yep he sure did.

First set he made had some major problems i didnt like, so i sent them back and he fixed them and sent them back.

I just finished everything up on plane so now im ready to do some flight tests. 

Edited by Buckchop
2 people like this

Posted

I didn't think that Luga/NR was compatible with direct drive engines unless you use their solid core blades.

Posted

I didn't think that Luga/NR was compatible with direct drive engines unless you use their solid core blades.

I believe you are correct.  When I ordered the prop the guy I talked to also said I need the reinforced blades with the Jabiru.