Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 1 wing.

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Is anyone making, or is there a source for new ribs. Thinking about a total wing rebuild with all new part . 

Posted

I bought two from Kitfox. They have a few of them. I got one of each to use as patterns. Not cheap but now I have a pattern for both standard rib and hanger rib. A cabinet shop near me can make them like the originals.

1 person likes this

Posted

I made my own using 5mm 10 ply plywood from Aircraft Spruce. Very easy to do if you have a rib you can use as a pattern. I rough cut them out with a jig saw and then used a flush edge laminate trimmer bit in a router to finish the edges. 

The cap strips are 3mm 5 ply cut into 1" strips.

These are for an Avid but a KF should basically the same.

0922190859.jpg

0922191519.jpg

0922191218.jpg

0928191847.jpg

0922191548.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Try and get urself some good patteren ribs from what u have, use a rotozip from lowe's/home depot and some aircraft plywood, way to easy to make them urself, i did that and made 8-10 ribs, hanger ribs and also false ribs.  And cheap that way, use the same plywood for makeing ur capstrips, glue it all up with 9460 hysol. Ull need hysol to glue ribs to spars also.  

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow awsome thanks for the replies. I wonder if I might be able to borrow a few ribs as patterns so I can keep the plane running in the mean time. 

Posted

I'm doing it. Rotozip that will make it easy. Thanks buck. 

Posted (edited)

I think i still have extras of the ones i made, not sure, ill have to look in the shed today when it warms up and the daylight comes. Hahahahahaaa it dark as heck, and -27. Mayb even send u a paper patteren.

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

Jim Chuk offered to send me a pattern and I appreciate it, but I decided to buy a pair of the factory ribs to have as patterns. They are a little more durable than a paper pattern since I am not known for rolling or folding paper gently. I am so good at it, I generally buy a new sectional every couple months.

1 person likes this

Posted

Have you thought about building new ribs with the later style wing rib?

1 person likes this

Posted

Tell me more tj. 

Posted (edited)

Have you thought about building new ribs with the later style wing rib?

I don't know all the details but also if you could find some model 2 spars with the I- beam cross section and reinforce the lift strut attach points on the bottom of the fuselage you could have a 950 lb gross weight(unless you're already lucky enough to have a later model 1 with those mods). 

More speed and payload would sure be nice though I imagine your Vne would still be 100 mph just take less fuel to cruise. 

Edited by Willja67
1 person likes this

Posted

Cool no worries. 

Posted

Tell me more tj. 

I was just wondering if you thought about building it with the model 4-7 wing? For your type flying I have no idea if it would better or not that's all. And if you want all new wings something to think about.

1 person likes this