Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rivets on flaperon horn

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Is this factory? Can't find anything in the manual. Not sure I'm comfortable with pop rivets in a primary control linkage.

20191220_121045.jpg

20191220_121034.jpg

Posted (edited)

Looks like everyone that I've seen. One could replace the rivets with a bolt but generally not that much stress on them as ailerons. A bit more stress if used as flaps but correctly installed, SS rivets have more than enough sheer strength. Watching an aileron in flight, a 30 deg bank doesn't move the aileron very much at all.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted (edited)

Yep my kitfox 5 has em just like that.  Shown in the builders manual.  They are sst pop rivets and with a little time they get a little slack.  I just replaced all mine at 500hrs TT.  Same used on my rudder pedal torque tubes.  Those had a bit more slop in them.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

My Kitfox IV has them too. In addition to my Kitfox, I fly a Sonerai IIL that has wings almost entirely riveted together with SS pop rivets. The SS pop rivets have a higher shear strength than a same diameter AN rivet.

I would be more worried about dissimilar metal corrosion between the aluminum and steel tubes 

Posted

Thanks. If it's factory, I'll leave them and check often if I ever get in the air

Posted

If memory is correct, when you put the horns on, you use epoxy in addition to the pop rivets to hold them in place.  JImChuk