Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flaperon Travel

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Next time somebody is around their model 1, 2, or 3 could they measure their up travel on their flaperons. I can't find the degrees up travel anywhere. Mine appear to have little up travel according to my eyes. Thanks!

Posted

Do you mean with the flap lever? Do you have the build manual?  I can check mine when I get home.

Posted

No, I am talking about with the stick all the way left or right, the up aileron is how many degrees? The build manual doesn't give a number of degrees of travel.

Posted

Not that this is of much help but the way the models 1-3 were designed, you get more down than up.  Exactly opposite of what you want.  This weekend's task is to fabricate model 4 style flaperon mixers.

I'll see if I have any notes in my builders manual just in case.

Posted

Not that this is of much help but the way the models 1-3 were designed, you get more down than up.  Exactly opposite of what you want.  This weekend's task is to fabricate model 4 style flaperon mixers.

I'll see if I have any notes in my builders manual just in case.

That's what mine appears to have, more down travel than up travel. Might have something to do with the detached flaperons. I don't know but seems to add to adverse yaw. I am looking at an easy way to modify that.  At this point its questionable, but hey it looks good on paper. Thanks!

Posted

As far as I can tell, it is major surgery to fix this.  It has been suggested to me that it isn't worth it.  Just use the rudders. Of course, I  didn't listen,  which is why I hope to convert mine this weekend. 

2 people like this

Posted

The front of the flaperon will hit the rib tail of the wing. Also the flaperon horn will hit the bottom of the turtle deck. I took a happy medium between the two and welded some stops on the control stick.   Not sure how much travel it is but I can measure it tomorrow if you want.

Posted

If you get time and it isn't too much trouble. Thanks!

1 person likes this

Posted

As I started getting into the control system I discovered that when the stick is centered, the bell crank was at an angle, resulting in more deflection in one direction.  I  welded new tabs to correct that.

Posted

If I remember correctly, my model 4 had some odd angles on the control parts but worked dandy. I bought a digital level to set them correctly. But that was back in '91.

Posted

Here is a picture of the flaperon full flaps with full right stick. See the front would hit the wing if you go to far that is why I built stops into the control stick. Also it is very important all heads of the hanger screws are clocked the same direction it helps the plane fly better ;)

1221190848b_resized.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Ok here we go sorry for the bad pictures my phone is shot.

Usually you level the plane by the wing strut but I built my center console to match that level point. So in the first picture you will see that the plane is sitting in a 3 point and I just zeroed the level so don't get confused. 

Stick neutral mixer is level. 1 degree positive both sides. 

Stick Neutral full flaps 20 degrees

Stick Full right with full flaps 35 degrees

Hope this helps if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

1221190844_resized.jpg

1221190832_resized.jpg

1221190833_resized.jpg

1221190837_resized.jpg

1221190838b_resized.jpg

1221190840_resized.jpg

Edited by TJay
1 person likes this

Posted

Ok here we go sorry for the bad pictures my phone is shot.

Usually you level the plane by the wing strut but I built my center console to match that level point. So in the first picture you will see that the plane is sitting in a 3 point and I just zeroed the level so don't get confused. 

Stick neutral mixer is level. 1 degree positive both sides. 

Stick Neutral full flaps 20 degrees

Stick Full right with full flaps 35 degrees

Hope this helps if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

1221190844_resized.jpg

1221190832_resized.jpg

1221190833_resized.jpg

1221190837_resized.jpg

1221190838b_resized.jpg

1221190840_resized.jpg

Tjay, I've got a number of question hopefully not too irritating.

1. With no flap deflection and full stick deflection is there any differential? For example if the left flaperon deflects 20 degrees down does the right flaperon deflect say 25 deg up?

2.what's the other side doing? Meaning when at full flap setting and full stick deflection what angle is the downward pointing flaperon at?

3. Could you also measure both sides at full stick deflection for half flaps (10 degrees) as well?

I've got a design forming in my head as well to add differential into the system and free up the area behind the seat for some cargo room. I'd be interested to  see what CoClimber comes up with as well. 

Posted

No differential what so ever. You just fly the plane.

At half flaps with full stick I have 27.5 Degrees

With full flaps and full stick the opposite flaperon returns to about the 0 mark.  And I can honestly say I have yanked and banked this thing with every flap setting and don't notice any funny business.

Posted (edited)

No differential what so ever. You just fly the plane.

At half flaps with full stick I have 27.5 Degrees

With full flaps and full stick the opposite flaperon returns to about the 0 mark.  And I can honestly say I have yanked and banked this thing with every flap setting and don't notice any funny business.

Thanks for those measurements. I'm sure the plane flies just fine the way it is. My purpose in taking a stab at redesigning the mixer are 3 fold. 

1. I enjoy the challenge

2. Reduce adverse yaw a little/ maybe allow a little more roll control with full flaps

3. Open up the baggage area a little.  

My first stab at the design I was able to get 8 degrees more up than down deflection. Having never flown one of these birds I don't know if that would even matter but that was just changing 1 element.  I think I can squeeze some more in there if I change a few other things. 

Edited by Willja67

Posted

What I did for mine was to copy the dimensions of the model 4 control system.  I'm done fabricating it but I don't have the wings on to measure the deflections. I may go ahead and calculate throws but I don't have the control arms for the model 4 flaperons. I managed to buy two never used flaperons but they didn't have the control arms. Anyone have a 4 or later and want to measure them for me?

1 person likes this

Posted

What I did for mine was to copy the dimensions of the model 4 control system.  I'm done fabricating it but I don't have the wings on to measure the deflections. I may go ahead and calculate throws but I don't have the control arms for the model 4 flaperons. I managed to buy two never used flaperons but they didn't have the control arms. Anyone have a 4 or later and want to measure them for me?

I'd like to see some pics. I found a few diagrams but nothing that really shows it to good advantage. 

I did find a diagram of the model 7 system and what i was sketching up was remarkably similar. I guess there's only a few ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Posted

Got the Fox out in the snow today to run it a bit. Measured the flaperon travel on my model 2.  20 degrees up and  25 degrees down. That is with 0 flaps pulled. Could change it to 25 up and 20 down but probably not much difference.