Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Just purchased a Kitfox IV

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all, 

Those that know me realize by now that I am an Addict! Hello, my name is Kenneth and I am an addict. 

I came across a deal that I would not normal have gone through with but the builder’s (deceased) brother told me about this plane and how it performed. Turns out they were both professional race car builders and fastidious about keeping it light too. Just over 500 pounds. No radio, transponder and the like. Just bare simple and minimal equipment to be legal. 

I already know there are a few things to do to it to make it mine, such as reinforcing the seat truss etc. Maybe even widening the fuse at the door since I am broad shouldered. But will leave all of that on the table for when I take deliver of it. 

On another note, only a few of you know but I have been hoarding parts for my Yamaha Apex engine install too. Guess I found the plane for it finally. I had been thinking of putting it on my Ridge Runner III but the weight and balance just never quite worked out the way I wanted without major modifications to an already covered plane.  

I will post more later but wanted to share the news. Guess this will keep me back on the forum better.  

08B3193F-2276-4F23-9A52-5063DA2DFDDF.jpeg

D50F9E38-906D-40EF-9ED7-A37462F041FB.jpeg

C8775864-FC1F-4BAE-9B8D-654570366C0E.jpeg

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Welcome back sir!  Congratulations on the new airplane,  and with regard to the Yamaha, welcome to the dark side!

if-you-only-knew-the-power-of-the-dark-side-28841917.png

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this

Posted

And were you able to purchase the apex mount, header, and R1 airbox that those brothers built for that plane?

Posted

Nice plane! Good price! Guess I need to redo my weight and balance or the whole airplane. A model 4 that's lighter than an air-cooled model 2? Must have been the lead in my paint! Still can't figure it out!

Posted

And were you able to purchase the apex mount, header, and R1 airbox that those brothers built for that plane?

Unfortunately no, but I do have my Apex Engine, Teal’s gearbox and Ian’s wore harness. I was the one that sent him the first harness to work on. Been on this track for almost teo years.  The engine was going to go on a Ridge Runner III and be ridiculous but think that idea might be changing.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice plane! Good price! Guess I need to redo my weight and balance or the whole airplane. A model 4 that's lighter than an air-cooled model 2? Must have been the lead in my paint! Still can't figure it out!

How much does your 2 weigh? I am told this plane is right at about 540. Sadly I also learned today that the brother believes the logbook and all associates extra parts were thrown away. Means that I will have nothing but a phase 1 sign off and A/W certificate and registration. 

Posted

My Kitfox IV with 582 weighs 560 according to the logbooks. I haven't re-weighed it but I can't see where any additional weight would have been added after the original build.  At that weight it performs fantastically. With 2 on board with about 1/2 tanks (26 gallon capacity), 70 deg F, at 700 ft field elevation the climb after takeoff is about 1000 ft/min. It isn't fast, but I didn't expect it to be. I'm still feeling mine out but I figure it will be about a 90 mph cruise the way it is. What really impresses me is the takeoff, landing and climb performance. Its a blast challenging myself on short takeoffs and landings. I just bought mine earlier this year and have been flying it only since October.  Weather, family obligations and work have kept me down to only about 15 hours in it so far but it is definitely a fun airplane.

As far as the logs, it really isn't as big a deal on a homebuilt as it is on a production airplane.  Production airplanes have to show AD compliance, time limited parts, etc. A homebuilt, especially one with a non-certified engine doesn't have AD's and are pretty much always "on-condition". The only drawback I see for yours is that you may not have a good handle on the time that 2-stroke has on it. They are 300 hour TBO, so you might want to plan for an overhaul sooner rather than later. As long as you have the things you already listed you are fine with just a new condition inspection.

I see in your signature line you are also building a Sonerai IIL. My Kitfox is the same colors as yours and I built a Sonerail IIL completing it in 1992. For a variety of reasons/excuses, I only have about 350 hours on it to this day, but it will be back in the air next spring (no cabin heat). Along the way I converted it to a single seat. Here it is with 2 of my excuses for not flying it more.

Your Kitfox looks great.  Hope it is as nice as th pictures show.

2004-06-25 @ 15-17-21  0790.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

I guess I really need to update my signature.i sold the Sonerai about three years ago. It is flying up near Cleveland now. I have also built, sold or purchased at least 5 planes since then. 
I am very well aware of what I need but also don’t keep planes very long so worry about the resale value without the logs. I do know the engine has 140 hours on it so it will go a while before rebuild.  

Posted

How much does your 2 weigh? I am told this plane is right at about 540. Sadly I also learned today that the brother believes the logbook and all associates extra parts were thrown away. Means that I will have nothing but a phase 1 sign off and A/W certificate and registration. 

You can start new books, that's not a big issue. You have the important paperwork, My model 2 weighs 508 with an air-cooled engine. 50 lbs too heavy in my book!

Posted

Well bad news today. I have been on bedrest with a lower back issue. Found out today that I am now going to have surgery. Fusing at least two discs and a three month recovery once I have surgery. I called the guy selling the plane and had to let him go on to the next person since I couldn’t pick it up for three months. 
It killed me to let it go but I don’t have friends or family to help me get it and they are selling the house where it is stored.

Not a great day today.  Guess I have to get better and then keep looking. 

Posted

Sorry to hear about your back! I know the feeling about not having any help close by. There will be other ones when you are in better shape.

1 person likes this

Posted

That's too bad. It looked like a decent airplane that would not have taken a lot to get back in the air.

1 person likes this

Posted

Okay, update on this saga. I had a pretty emotional week. I didn’t realize how the surgery news had thrown me into a state of shock emotionally until after a few hours had passed. I had already told the owners brother to sell it to the next guy. 

After I had time to think it all through I realized that I had the option of at least asking him to deliver it or hold it for me. So I sent him a text to let me know if the next guy bailed out.

This morning I got a text that the guy was in Michigan and his wife wasn’t supporting his decision to buy it so he was backing out. I jumped back on the chance and worked out a deal for him to hold it for me. Sent another deposit check and it is good until I can get down there for it. 

One question for you all; is there anyone on here that lives close to Tampa? Or even know of anyone that does and wants to make a few hundred to tow it 500 on a custom trailer to me? I doubt it but have to ask. If not he will hold it for several months without an issue. Really good guy.

Now my mind is busy on what things I want to do to it. Better gear is at the top of my list. Probably larger rudder and elevator too. This is now going to be my platform for my Apex engine. I have had it and the gearbox from Teal for quite some time.  Stay tuned for another build log. 

I am also very happy to be back on the forum. Many of you have become good friends to me and I am sorry that I let my time slip away without being on here more often. 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Okay, update on this saga. I had a pretty emotional week. I didn’t realize how the surgery news had thrown me into a state of shock emotionally until after a few hours had passed. I had already told the owners brother to sell it to the next guy. 

After I had time to think it all through I realized that I had the option of at least asking him to deliver it or hold it for me. So I sent him a text to let me know if the next guy bailed out.

This morning I got a text that the guy was in Michigan and his wife wasn’t supporting his decision to buy it so he was backing out. I jumped back on the chance and worked out a deal for him to hold it for me. Sent another deposit check and it is good until I can get down there for it. 

One question for you all; is there anyone on here that lives close to Tampa? Or even know of anyone that does and wants to make a few hundred to tow it 500 on a custom trailer to me? I doubt it but have to ask. If not he will hold it for several months without an issue. Really good guy.

Now my mind is busy on what things I want to do to it. Better gear is at the top of my list. Probably larger rudder and elevator too. This is now going to be my platform for my Apex engine. I have had it and the gearbox from Teal for quite some time.  Stay tuned for another build log. 

I am also very happy to be back on the forum. Many of you have become good friends to me and I am sorry that I let my time slip away without being on here more often. 

I'm in Lakeland and might be able to handle it for you. I can set my own schedule so that's not a problem. Only issue I have is a #1200 max tow weight. The planes fine but if the trailer is a beast I wouldn't be able to do it.  I'd be happy to help out. 

Don't laugh it works, hauled my kit almost 2k miles from Canada 

MINI.jpg

Edited by Ronin
added info/photo
3 people like this

Posted

See! There is this family or brotherhood thing showing up again! Gotta love it!

2 people like this

Posted

Thats Awesome to hear lostman!! Great Christmas present to urself!!! 

1 person likes this

Posted

I've tried to send you a PM lostman but the process seems messed up at the moment. 

Posted

I've tried to send you a PM lostman but the process seems messed up at the moment. 

Ronin, I will check my PM but I just saw your post. I appreciate the response! 

Posted

Thats Awesome to hear lostman!! Great Christmas present to urself!!! 

Yes it is, plus it keeps me motivated to heal faster after surgery! I need it this round. The amount of damage in my back was pretty startling to me.