Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing tanks

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Thinking about when or I decide to add another plastic wing tank beside the existing one. Anybody have a better way to connect the two together than what wingtanks.com shows. Running 3 or 4 1/4" lines between the two isn't my idea of the proper way to do it, though it may work. Plus one has to have access to replace the lines occasionally besides removing the fabric or have a permament connection between the two. Otherwise may have to have a 10 gal wing tank made. Maybe an alum panel screwed to the ribs over the connections that is removable? Anybody got any brainstorms?

Posted

I have had no issues with the two tanks I bought from Kitfox a couple years ago for My Model 1.  They are about 1000 bucks by the time they are shipped to your door but I think it is money well spent.

Posted (edited)

Is that 1K for one or 2 tanks? Could be no problem at all, since average fuel burn is about 2.5 GPH and 10-12 gal would give me more range than my bladder. Which runs 1-1 1/2 hrs. I think we all are guilty of adding more stuff than we really need for whatever reason. A 5 gallon can strapped in the seat when needed is simple to do and I fly solo 90% of the time anyway. I see a lot of Avid/Foxes flying with only the nose tank.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

what are you running to get a 2.5 GHP fuel burn?  That is less than half of my 582

:BC:

Posted

what are you running to get a 2.5 GHP fuel burn?  That is less than half of my 582

:BC:

The Hirth 3202. Normally I would not say that except I've flown the same engine in a challenger and know the GPH. But also remember it cruises at approx. 4250-4500 RPM in the peak torque curve so fuel burn and wear and tear is less. The Kitfox is about 50 lbs heavier overall so I am expecting 3 GPH or less at cruise. From the ones I've talked to, the 3202 does have a little longer Take off run but faster cruise speed than the 582. Just due to the different torque and power curve. Run a 582 at the same 4250-4500 and fuel burn would probably be the same. But the 582 isn't really designed to run that low RPM where the 3202 is. Factory specs on fuel burn are formulated a little different than actual flying conditions. So factory specs are usually rated at the max fuel burn.

Posted

Is that 1K for one or 2 tanks? Could be no problem at all, since average fuel burn is about 2.5 GPH and 10-12 gal would give me more range than my bladder. Which runs 1-1 1/2 hrs. I think we all are guilty of adding more stuff than we really need for whatever reason. A 5 gallon can strapped in the seat when needed is simple to do and I fly solo 90% of the time anyway. I see a lot of Avid/Foxes flying with only the nose tank.

Sorry that was for two 13 gallon tanks made with .5 inch twist.

Posted

Sorry that was for two 13 gallon tanks made with .5 inch twist.

That's not an outrageous price. Considering 2 6 gal tanks is 500, 2 13 gal tanks at 1K isn't out of line. I, personally don't need 26 gal for my style of flying but 15 would be more reasonable for me. Maybe one 13 gal tank and a 6 gal would be more than enough.

Posted

The friend of mine who had the Avid A model with the Hirth in it put a 5 gallon plastic jug behind the passenger's seat for extra fuel.  He did have to disconnect the rod going up to the flaperon to fold the wing, but that's not a big thing.  You have to do that on the Kitfox 4 and later.  It did seem like a way easier way to get some extra fuel reserve then cutting into the wing.  He just had the 8 gallon header tank, and he would pump from the 5 gallon one into the front tank when he was using it.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

That is the way I am leaning. I just can't bring myself to cutting into a perfectly good, new wing to add a tank. I'll carry on like it is till it becomes a bigger issue. I had forgotten how much of a PITA it is to refuel wing tanks.  A 12V fuel caddy might be in the near future. On always seems to over estimate the  amount of fuel they think they need. There is always more involved than just dropping in another wing tank. Its never as simple as ads make it sound.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

Would be great for the hangar. Except I don't have one, which is the purpose of folding wings. Hangars don't survive at my airstrip, way too much wind. I've lost 2 already due to wind. I guess a 4' alum ladder will have to do.