10 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone here used Vortex generators on a Speed wing? As I'm thinking about fitting some in the hope of reducing the stall speed and tightening up everything. She flies great but now but I've seen some claims of improved performance on some types but not much on others and was wondering what experience people have had with them here. 

Posted

It would be interesting to experiment Alan but getting them past the LAA modification system may be the biggest problem. One advantage of VG's is improved controls but as the flaperons fly below the wing I suspect this would not be the case on our Avids. We need someone with a wind tunnel!

I know that you would also like to go a bit faster to keep up with Troy and I am looking at drag reduction on my bird. I have so far designed some fuel filler fairings for 3D printing and am now working on lift strut wing and fuselage fairings.

BTW my strip is holding up well this winter so if you fancy a bimble up Cambridge way give me a shout.

Ken

2 people like this

Posted

I think you will see that the VG's are worth the time to put them on.  The biggest thing is getting them into and area they will do the most good.  I would start around 5% as that seems to have worked best on mine.  Granted, I don't have a speed wing, just the stol wing, but the upper airfoil is the same and that's what you are trying to keep the air from separating from.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

There is an interesting series of videos on 3D printed VG's on YouTube, shows their effect nicely. I can make these for you if you go ahead. Ken

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you Ken for the input and yeah I would love to pop over to your strip when the weather improves, could you email me your phone number to airbornetroubadour@protonmail.com

Troy has trouble keeping up with me, he likes to cruise at 60 mph @ 5000 and I'm doing about 75 mph at that so I have to slow down for him. We flew a loose formation with a phantom and it was hard work for me. On the way back from out day out at Rougham I lost them owing to a later take off slot. But I arrived over 10 mins ahead of them both at my eco cruise!

I know what you mean with the LAA it's sad how the organisation set up to promote light aircraft flying is sometimes a major obsticle to flying as well.

I would like to do the mod that you have done to the tail feathers on your Avid as I have a covered round rudder in the Hangar. The extra weight i could carry would be handy for another crew member.

Posted

Thank you Ken for the input and yeah I would love to pop over to your strip when the weather improves, could you email me your phone number to airbornetroubadour@protonmail.com

Troy has trouble keeping up with me, he likes to cruise at 60 mph @ 5000 and I'm doing about 75 mph at that so I have to slow down for him. We flew a loose formation with a phantom and it was hard work for me. On the way back from out day out at Rougham I lost them owing to a later take off slot. But I arrived over 10 mins ahead of them both at my eco cruise!

I know what you mean with the LAA it's sad how the organisation set up to promote light aircraft flying is sometimes a major obsticle to flying as well.

I would like to do the mod that you have done to the tail feathers on your Avid as I have a covered round rudder in the Hangar. The extra weight i could carry would be handy for another crew member.

I have emailed you with my phone number. Skiing this week, when I get home I’ll see if I have the tail plane mod. details. Is yours a Speedwing Aerobat? Needs to be for the mod. to get you 1020lbs max weight.

Ken

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thank Ken,

It's just the Speed wing with and extra rib bay.

I looked at the VG videos that you linked me too and I think that it maybe possible to improve our wings around the stall.

I know that the Sky Ranger and the Kit fox (unless it's a speed wing type) will only have a very slight improvement.

The Stol wing tend to eek out the best slow speed performance and there is not much room for improvement. But our speed wings may have a wider margin for the VG's work with.

Alan

Edited by alan von Stark
spelling mistake

Posted

I have emailed you with my phone number. Skiing this week, when I get home I’ll see if I have the tail plane mod. details. Is yours a Speedwing Aerobat? Needs to be for the mod. to get you 1020lbs max weight.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I know this is an old thread, but I have an aerobatic speed wing MKIV, and I am looking to maximize the airframe for my Jabiru 2200. Please advise what mods you recommend. I have lots of tools and skills, so don't hesitate to lay on the thick stuff. 

Posted (edited)

Interesting thread.  I just came across a similar one on the Avid Flyers Facebook group, and they were installing them on the bottom of the wings, with the intent of decambering the wing some to increase the top speed!  LOL.  Wonder if you can do both?

FWIW, I added some to the top of my Challenger wing, not even full span, and reduced the stall speed by about five knots.  They sure can work.

Edited by Gerry Visel