Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flaperon attachment repair

11 posts in this topic

Posted

In case others have to do it here are photos of my repair to all the flaperon hangers on my Speedwing. The process was:

1/ Strip all the fabric

2/ Using a hot air gun soften the glue between capstrips and ribs, prise the capstrips off.

3/ Soften glue on rib to spar joint.

4/ Remove rear rib section

5/ make new rear rib sections using one of the broken ones glued together as a router pattern.

6/ Glue rib replacement part to spar using structural adhesive.

7/ Glue capstrips to ribs

8/ Re-Cover and paint wing!!!!

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

nicely done! Still on my list of things to eventually do is cad the ribs so I can cut them out with the CNC router.  I like the way you did the clamp/alignment blocks!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

nicely done! Still on my list of things to eventually do is cad the ribs so I can cut them out with the CNC router.  I like the way you did the clamp/alignment blocks!

Been there done that akflyer, unfortunately I think they changed the speedwing profile slightly after mine and this drawing is for a 1998 model. These drawings are in AutoCAD 2020 format say if you would like me to export in another format.

Ken

Speedwing Flaperon Repair.dwg

SW171.dwg

Edited by KenKelso
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

While you had this apart, why not have instead accomplished the aluminized Kitfox supports? Denny Aerocraft SB #9, 9/12/91 - flaperon hangar rib failures.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

Been there done that akflyer, unfortunately I think they changed the speedwing profile slightly after mine and this drawing is for a 1998 model. These drawings are in AutoCAD 2020 format say if you would like me to export in another format.

Ken

SW171.dwg

That is awesome!  I have 2017 so I can't open these files.  We are a bit behind it seems :lol:

Posted

Here you go Leni, AutoCAD 2004 format. 

BTW Paypal'ed you a small contribution yesterday, keep up the good work.

Ken

SW171.dwg

1 person likes this

Posted

While you had this apart, why not have instead accomplished the aluminized Kitfox supports? Denny Aerocraft SB #9, 9/12/91 - flaperon hangar rib failures.

In the UK changes like that have to be put through the Light Aircraft Association (LAA) modification procedure. The repair I carried out was already an approved repair scheme.

Ken

2 people like this

Posted

where do I find info on this a,uminized repair?  I just picked up a project and I want to reinforce every flapper on hangar while I recover the wings. Thanks!

Posted

where do I find info on this a,uminized repair?  I just picked up a project and I want to reinforce every flapper on hangar while I recover the wings. Thanks!

I am curious why you would want to reinforce the flapperon hangars?

They are strong enough to never break under normal flight loads, and if on a ground loop, some break off, wouldn't that actually make them MORE repairable? I believe that if they were reinforced, more damage would be done deeper in the structure requiring even more extensive repair. That's the way I see it anyway.

I have seen pictures of wood rot failures of the hangars due to trapped moisture at the back of the wing where the hangars exit. Aluminium would help if that were the situation I would think. as long as the rot was not deeper in the structure.

Posted

You bring up an excellent point Chris!  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  In my case, all five were snapped off of one wing when the PO's wife ran her car into the L/wing flaperon. The aluminum repair he designed is very stout.  After I purchased it, I found the outer R/one cracked and repaired it per his plans.  The remaining 4 are undamaged and safe for flight presently and no need to repair.  But true, I gotta wonder, the repaired ones are so robust that if they're "attacked" again, it might not fair well for the wing.

Posted

Chris - good thought. In the wing I have rot that started up the hangers into the ribs. I’m going to have to cut out and repair all 8 rib tails. Nearly all of the hangers broke when the wings were transported probably due to the rot weakening them.  Take a look at the picture.  Randy Peterson